Added too much sulphite during barrel aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

globell

Reaction score
So I messed up in a rather large way. I tend to not add much for sulphite but trialing barrel aging and the word is to keep up the s02 levels.

I added 100 PPM (only had residual of 4 when tested). Wanted to add 50ppm, but because it was just racked and new barrel it was suggested 75 ppm as it will eat up that 25ppm with racking and the first month. Then I messed up my math...double whammy :no:

Cider at pH 3.75
SG 1.000
ABV 8-10% (it's a blend of a number of ciders)
Whiskey barrel

Anyways - it smells sulfury (and I'm a sulfur sensitive person) and has an almost salty taste. I was LOVELY before the addition too. It's been 6 weeks.

I was thinking of adding some sugar to bring it to 1.01 or so and some yeast and seeing if I can blow off some of that sulfur. Trying a 1L test batch using EC1118

Even blending it down isn't great and it's my biggest volume (of course).

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Aeration removes sulfite (it oxidizes to sulfate), so it's very simple to lower it.
When it's ready for packaging, use controlled amounts of aeration (slowly) until the smell dissipates.
Adding sugar will likely lead to sulFIDE production; I don't recommend that.

When you say you added "100ppm", what exactly do you mean? What product did you use and how much did you add? Batch size?

3.75 pH is a little high. It might be good to add some acid to lower it to 3.6-3.7. This will reduce the chance of microbial spoilage.

I should mention that the cider was started in September and been aging in oak since feb.

100 ppm of potassium metabisulfite.

I’m don’t have my notes with me though (for other details).

I will rack off a liter and inject and purge some co2 to see if that helps.

Normally 3.75 is way high - I’m normally around the 3.5 range but it really tastes lovely. It’s in the higher end of TA for its pH range. I do have to have my pH meter tested too. Thanks for the reminder there!!

Thanks for sharing.

FYI 100 ppm of potassium metabisulfite adds 57 ppm free SO2.

I'm thinking you would need a lot of CO2 to remove enough sulfite.

I plan on barrel aging for the better part of a year. I assume that the sulfite flavour will dissipate yes?

Is the salty taste for the potassium or the sulfite? I’m have a pretty keen sense of smell. My husband doesn’t really notice it, but offputting to me.

I plan on barrel aging for the better part of a year. I assume that the sulfite flavour will dissipate yes?

Is the salty taste for the potassium or the sulfite? I’m have a pretty keen sense of smell. My husband doesn’t really notice it, but offputting to me.

Yes, much of the sulfite will dissipate over time, so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

I've never had "salty" out of k-meta. I don't know what the cause would be, but it could be the potassium. Unfortunately, potassium won't dissipate. Unless........ you didn't happen to use Na-Meta (sodium metabisulfite) did you? That may do it, I assume but don't know it for a fact.

Thanks for catching that. Ment you mention it as it was my first thought too.
For sure kMeta (and I double checked just to be sure :)

Back