Added DME into primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SONICYOUTH

Reaction score
I added about 3/4 cups of DME dissolved in 6 cups of water to my primary to raise the OG up from 1.054. Any thought on how much this will change the OG in a 5 gallon batch?

44 point per pound per gallon = 6.6 points.
(44/5) * .75
So, it should go to 1.0606 according to my math.

/edit
this doesn't take into account the extra 6 cups of water you added....
so really it is (44/5.375) * .75 = 6.1 points... if you want to get precise about it.

44 point per pound per gallon = 6.6 points.
(44/5) * .75
So, it should go to 1.0606 according to my math.

I would agree with you if 3/4 cup was 3/4 of a pound. More like 1/4 pound. Also there will be some further reduction with the addition of another 6 cups of water.

Why do you want to raise the OG. 1.054 sounds like a nice beer.
Depending on the recipe, just adding DME to raise the OG might make the beer unbalanced, or in other words, overly malty tasting.

Personally I would not mess with it.
:mug:

Why do you want to raise the OG. 1.054 sounds like a nice beer.
Depending on the recipe, just adding DME to raise the OG might make the beer unbalanced, or in other words, overly malty tasting.

Personally I would not mess with it.
:mug:

I completely agree. 1.054 might be a tad low for an American IPA, but it is right within the guidelines for an English IPA. Don't sweat the small stuff. No one will know the difference...an IPA will fry your tongue regardless of the OG.

Back