added some light DME to a finished batch of wort, how many points?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odie

Reaction score
My double IPA wort came out a little on the low side IMO.

I took some of the wort and added 1/2 pound of DME and heated on the stove until it all dissolved. Then added it back to the fermenter.

total volume is 5 gal so should I add about 4 points to my OG?

I'm not able to take a second OG reading since by the time the added DME is completely dispersed evenly in the total wort fermentation will be under way.

So I can only estimate reasonable points to add to the OG reading before adding DME.

I guess if you want to be really fastidious you should add 4.5 points and make sure to account for the volume of the DME. But seriously, how much difference is 4 or 5 points of OG going to make? 3 points of FG and 0.4% ABV? I don't think I would have done anything if I missed by OG by 4 points. It's going to be beer, and probably pretty good beer at that.

well, I came up with 4.3 points so rounded down to 4. light DME is 43? divide by half for 1/2 pound and then 5 again for 5 gallons.

I didn't have those numbers when I did it so I just scooped in 1/2 pound into a pot and that looked like a lot so that's all I used.

My OG was lower than expected but not THAT low I thought. Just wanted a modest bump without risking going over. A little low just means I can drink more.

well, I came up with 4.3 points so rounded down to 4. light DME is 43? divide by half for 1/2 pound and then 5 again for 5 gallons.
I used the Brewer's Friend recipe calculator and put half a pound of Briess light DME into a five gallon batch. It said that should add 4.5 points to the OG. But what do I know? It's just rounding error anyway.

I don't think I could even disern 0.5 points on my hydrometer.

I have missed my OG a few times. I left it alone, finished the process and kegged it. Left it be for a week or two and most came out drinkable if not pretty darn good. I am not that good of a judge to tell what a few points off the OG would mean in final product. I just get pissed when I miss it, have another beer and move on to adding the yeast and let it do it's thing. I may have gotten lucky, but I just figure, hell if it's beer I will drink it. LOL. Rock On!!!!!!!!!

well, a DIPA probably won't taste good as a low alcohol beer.

Back