Added Campden to Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhDiscordia

Reaction score
I made a 5 gallon all grain batch last Friday with a friend who has always done extract. He wanted to get back into brewing, so I said let's do an AG batch. I brew 8-12 times a year.

Everything went great, but on day 3 I started smelling sulfur. Long story short, I discussed the issue and process this with my brewing buddy, and it sounds like we may have (definitely) added 1/3rd of a campden tablet to the carboy just prior to aerating and pitching. Oof.

Yeast took off after 24hrs, smelled good for the first two days, intensely eggy fart smells from day three onward, but much less so now.

I checked the gravity on day 5, when flagship normally finishes for me, and we had reached final gravity. Sample tasted good 🤡

I don't think there's much bubbling left at all. Will the beer be fine if I let it continue to off gas/sit in primary, or is this an expensive and time consuming lesson we can learn from?

Thanks!

My guess is that the sulfur smell will continue to diminish, unless you followed a strict low oxygen brewing process.

Was there any Pils in your recipe? I've had some horrible sulfur smells from Pils whenever I don't chill down the boil fast enough. Mind you, those were also accompanied by horrible sulfur flavors.

What yeast did you pitch? Was it a lager?

I pitched imperial flagship at 68 and held it there. I know sometimes that yeast can get stressed and throw sulfur, but I was thinking that the campden tablet in conjunction with stressed yeast (due to the campden killing a ton of yeast).

No pils. California Select 2-Row, white wheat, crystal 20.

I do try to minimize oxygen as much as possible. I don't go all out LODO or whatever it's called, but I do closed transfers and minimize oxygen intake where I can.

Back