Added aroma hops too late?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultimahitzu

Reaction score
I think I screwed up. I boiled the wort, then put it in an ice bath to chill, right when it was about chilled I realized I forgot to add the aroma hops (fuggle). So I added it to my cooled wort. Did I completely ruin my beer?

I think you'll be ok. Aroma hops are added at or near the end of the boil. Also dry hopping is done after fermentation is complete to add aroma.

Completely ruined private message me for address to send the ruined beer.

Yea relax throw an ounce of hops in a week or so before you bottle if you really want to. Even if you don't the beer will still be beer just less of a hoppy beer.

It will probably be really good... Assuming the aroma hop addition was only going to be for a 5-10 minute boil time, you wouldn't have gotten all that much in the IBU level from the hops. Basically, you just had an accidental dry hop incident..

Taste the brew in a couple of weeks (on the yeast) and decide if you need more hop aroma/flavor in it... If so, add another ounce (or so) a week (maybe two) before you bottle it up... Just means you might have more trub in the primary this way. No biggie there. You might want to get some whole hops to dry hop with later... Hopefully some of the people that do this will post up (I've not done it yet)...

What did you brew?

Of course, you will have to post up how it comes out with the accidental dry hopping...

Thanks a lot, I'm brewing an Irish Red from malt and specialty grains. Hopefully In the future I'll be doing all grain but I don't want to overwhelm myself. And of course I'll post how it came out.

Funny thing I was talking to my wife last night asking her if I should throw it out if you guys told me it was bad and she told me I should experiment what happens when you do what I did. I've been reading that experimentation is sometimes part of the hobby.

By the way, I've done little Mr. Beer kits before but this is my first attempt at 5 gallons at a time and besides the small screw ups I've been learning from, it's still been pretty fun.

Back