Add hop flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsonbrew

Reaction score
So I brewed a batch of beer with some ingredients that were probably several months old. I am assuming the hops lost their ability to impart flavor and bittnerness to my beer. I was afraid all was lost but now I am wondering if I can use hop extract or steep some hops and add it to my keg to bring back some semblance of the beers I was trying to make. Any ideas or suggestions on how I could or if I could do this???
Thanks
!

Put some hops in a paint strainer bag, tie a knot in the bag and throw it in the keg. Alternatively, put some hops in a French press, let them steep in hot water and pour the hop tea in the keg.

Any guesses as to how much hops to use for the tea? Same as the recipe or???? Can I add bitterness to it too or should I just try the hop flavors?

So I brewed a batch of beer with some ingredients that were probably several months old. I am assuming the hops lost their ability to impart flavor and bittnerness to my beer. I was afraid all was lost but now I am wondering if I can use hop extract or steep some hops and add it to my keg to bring back some semblance of the beers I was trying to make. Any ideas or suggestions on how I could or if I could do this???
Thanks
!
We’re the hops in sealed packages? If so, they were still probably good.

They were sealed but not refrigerated or anything. I don’t get a lot of time to brew but had it all figured out until plans changed then it was several months later that I got around to it.
I have never had this happen before and figured I would try to add bff labor before dumping two kegs worth.

A hop tea in a french press will add minimal bitterness, but a hop tea that is simmered for 20 mins or so can add quite a bit of bitterness.

Back