add fruit to Vienna lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbashbrew

Reaction score
I want to make a peach Vienna lager and was wondering when would be a good time to add the fruit to it? I plan on doing a primary fermentation for 14 days at 48f then a secondary fermentation for 30 days at 35f and a tertiary fermentation for 60 days at 30f... what do you guys think?

I think every German just winced. I haven't added fruit to a beer myself but I believe secondary fermentation is the typical time to do so.

Lol they probably did. I had a peach Vienna lager in Tampa Florida while visiting and it tasted amazing and I've wanted to do something similar for years so I figure why not now.

I think every German just winced. I haven't added fruit to a beer myself but I believe secondary fermentation is the typical time to do so.
I mean, to be fair Vienna Lager was invented in Austria and is most commonly brewed in North America, so I'm sure the Germans don't care except for the idea of adding fruit to a lager. Personally I don't see the point in adding to a Vienna Lager, the fruit would cover up the two most distinct things about a Vienna, the colour and the malt notes. If you want to add fruit to a lager, either add it to a pale lager where the fruit is left as the main note in both colour and taste, or a dark lager where you add a fruit that is complimentary to the roasty grains.

I want to make a peach Vienna lager and was wondering when would be a good time to add the fruit to it? I plan on doing a primary fermentation for 14 days at 48f then a secondary fermentation for 30 days at 35f and a tertiary fermentation for 60 days at 30f... what do you guys think?
Not sure what you ferment in, but are you planning to move the beer that much? That seems like a lot of moves....

Primary seems OK but between primary and lagering (your secondary fermentation), you need a diacetyl rest. You need to raise temp to 68-70 for a few days to make sure the yeast clean up after themselves.

If it were me, I would think you would...

1. Primary ferment at 48F for 5-6 days, or until fermentation slows a bit.
2. Raise temp slowly by 2-3 degrees per day until you hit 68-70F and let it sit for a diacetyl rest for 3 days.
a. Optional - perform diacetyl test to make sure the yeast are done.
3. Add your fruit at this point. I typically do 2 weeks for fruit additions.
4. Crash and do your lagering phase (what you called a tertiary fermentation) at mid 30's.

My question would be what do you ferment in?

I mean, to be fair Vienna Lager was invented in Austria and is most commonly brewed in North America, so I'm sure the Germans don't care.

I can confirm that. In spite of all my efforts seeking out obscure beers, I've never had a Vienna Lager (except maybe if Brooklyn Lager counts?).

I can confirm that. In spite of all my efforts seeking out obscure beers, I've never had a Vienna Lager (except maybe if Brooklyn Lager counts?).
Vienna Lager stayed alive as a style in Mexico. Dos Equis Amber is a readily available example off the top of my head.

Best time to use the peaches are for breakfast the next morning after drinking your Vienna lager with bratwurst mustard and pretzels the previous evening.

Seriously though, I think I’d try to find a clone recipe for a Pyramid Apricot Ale. They seem to have the peach thing dialed in.
844F8CDC-8E6C-4ADE-A050-FDCB71BEBC82.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back