Add CO2 Ball Lock to Outside of Collar of Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jester8887

Reaction score
I want to add a ball lock quick connect outside of the keezer, on the collar.

I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what I need. Basically, I want to install a ball lock post on both sides of the collar (wood), connected through the collar. I am not sure what attachments I will need.

Has anyone tried this??

Do you need the ball lock connection - or are you just looking to get your CO2 through the collar with sealed connections?

You could pretty easily use a pass-through shank with either barbed tail pieces (or MFL tail pieces with swivel nuts) for quite a bit cheaper than all the parts you'd need to install the ball lock connection (plus disconnects and whatnot).

Thanks, junior627. I appreciate the link.

My next question: what does that product hook up to? It seems to have a 1/4" FFL on the other end (not pictured in the link), and there doesn't seem to be a way to "mount" it on the collar.

What I'm seeking is an adapter like what you linked, but that can have a metal tube (or something solid) that can be passed through the collar to the adapter on the other side. Thoughts??

balllockthru.jpg

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/pass-through-shank.html
plus
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/1-4-stainless-mfl-tail-piece.html
plus neoprene washers and hex nuts/wing nuts
plus the cornelius plug adapter mentioned above, then your ball lock posts.

But that whole assembly would put you in the ball park of ~$100 (pass through, neoprene washers, hex nuts, MFL tails, Cornelius Plug adapters, and ball lock gas posts)

...however if you don't care about the ball lock connection you could do something similar with swivel nuts and save some $. Basically instead of the cornelius plug adapter and ball lock posts, you would go put barbed swivel nuts on the ends of your gas hoses and connect those directly to the MFL tail pieces. That would put you somewhere around $45 (plus tax and shipping of course). That's what I was getting at above.

All depends how important the ball lock connection is to you.

Or even cheaper - just do a barbed tail piece, and clamp your hoses on. But then you lose the easy disconnect ability that you would have with ball lock or swivel nut connections.

Thanks for your posts, all. I do want the ball lock quick connect, so I can switch the in-line inside the keezer, depending on pressure at each distributor.

I am still a newb when it comes to gas lines, so I have to do some research into the products you all recommended. I don't exactly get how the fittings all fit together yet. It's so difficult to see how all of the threads fit together on-line. I wish there my LHBS had all of this stuff so I could make sure I was getting the right parts without buying things I don't need.

I'll keep you all posted as to what I do.

For another cheap alternative you could use quick disconnects that they use for compressed air setups.

Quick Disconnect #1.jpg

Quick Disconnect #2.jpg

I have this QD hooked up between my tank and 3-way. Works great and can remove whenever and hook up other air accessories!

image-2601884718.jpg

I found attachments at my LHBS that took the proper mounting post for a ball lock to a 1/2" NPT male thread. I bought a 1/2" nipple at HD, and two female couplers. I'll be installing the thing soon. Thanks for all your posts, but I wanted something ultra simple.

Of course, if I find out that there are gas leaks, I'll have to revisit all of your ideas.

Back