Adafruit flow meter attachment to shank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rudylyon57

Reaction score
Fellow Brewers- I would like to figure out a "clean" way to attach an Adafruit flow meter to a standard beer shank. The flow meter has 1/2 male pipe threads (inlet and outlet) and the shank is 7/8-14 male thread (standard shank). Does a fitting (female-female coupler) exist that can join these two threads?

Not sure how those two parts work together, or if zinc plated or aluminum are appropriate for handling acidic wort.

7/8-14 turns out to be a thread size used on hydraulic systems, but the thread profile is not the same as BSP. There may well be a female 7/8-14 to 1/2" female straight pipe adapter out there in stainless steel but if there is it's obscured by the metric crap ton of hydraulic pipe fittings...

Cheers!

I'm thinking 7/8-14 is also the thread used on toilet connections? If so, pursuing that angle may get me somewhere.

Why not put the FM inline with the beer tubing? Pipe to barb ought to be fairly easy. Unsure if foaming would be an issue, or any worse than what you're already aiming at.

Why not put the FM inline with the beer tubing? Pipe to barb ought to be fairly easy. Unsure if foaming would be an issue, or any worse than what you're already aiming at.

It may come down to that but I was trying to keep the install clean with the meters fixed to shanks and not tangled up in gas & liquid lines. On the other hand, I wonder if placing them closer to the keg, where line pressure is higher = less foaming, would improve accuracy?

Is this going where I think it's going?
In other words, if you're going to have this connected to an app on your phone, so you can see when junior is helping himself to beer, then sign me up for one when you get it all worked out! :)

fwiw, I've been running a six faucet keezer with a full set of flow meters for a few years now (RaspberryPints) and found the closer the meters are to their keg Out posts the better the pours. I'd find some JG PTC fittings for the A-fruit meters and whatever beer line is being used and plumb them as close to the keg as can be managed...

Cheers!

day_tripper-what are JG PTC fittings? All my keg lines are connected to liquid posts with 1/4 MFL swivels.

John Guest "push to connect" fittings. Very useful in dispensing systems.
If you can find a fitting that threads onto your meters you should be able to also match up with your tubing...

Cheers!

John Guest "push to connect" fittings. Very useful in dispensing systems.
If you can find a fitting that threads onto your meters you should be able to also match up with your tubing...

Cheers!
Ahh...yes I'm familiar with them-thanks.

Back