Acetylaldehyde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malkore

Reaction score
I need to pick some brains...

After joining the local brew club, some of the BJCP members as well as a pro brewer are noting cidery flavors in my recent beers.

In discussion with them, its all boiling down to yeast health...sub-optimal pitching, old sachets, fermenting temps not ideal/fluctuating.

I'd like to hear from experience though...who here has gotten cidery flavors (I'm not putting ANY raw sugar in my brews BTW)...and got rid of them by pitching more yeast, changing yeasts, went to a fully temp controlled environment, etc.

I want to eliminate it but I don't want to change everything at once and then not know what fixed it.

Examples; my oktoberfest was made with just one white labs vial, and wasn't truly lagered. my haus ale used 'expired' nottingham.

I do oxygenate with pure O2/airstone...but I don't ever use yeast nutrient...something I'll change regardless.

I tend to go at least 10 days in primary, and then I usually go to secondary for a couple weeks before keg/bottling. I can't say the beers underattenuated since I had some low mash temps after dialing in some changes on my system.

Usually I make the OG no higher than 1.050 so one 11g sachet *should* be enough...but one guy said he's never used a dry satchet...always vials and starters.

Its not cidery enough to ruin the beer, but I'm not impressing the club members at all!

Also, in addition to 'experience', lets rank what I should change in order of priority:

1. yeast pitch rates (starters for liquid)
2. temperature control during primary
3. yeast nutrient
4. yeast strains (avoid 'cheap' dry strains like notty...stick to liquids)
5. hydrating/proofing all dry yeasts, and never use expired yeast

(feel free to add to that list)

Skip secondary and leave the beer on the yeast 3-4 weeks.
Although not specifically called out that I can find, I'd also want to know about the mashing/brewing water you use.
As you mention, proper amounts of quality yeast are important.

Skip secondary and leave the beer on the yeast 3-4 weeks.

+ infinity!!!

You need to give the yeast time to clean up after themselves, and that includes acetylaldehyde. I give every beer I make no less than 3 weeks in the primary, usually more.

Back