Accidentally taped label to competition beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHound12

Reaction score
So I accidentally taped the labels on some beers I am submitting for competition rather than rubber banding them on. I've already packed up the box sealed it and have it ready to ship tomorrow. Do you think they would accept the taped on labels? Or do i need to re pack the whole thing and make a run to the store to get rubber bands? Note: this is not a NHC competion or anything

So I accidentally taped the labels on some beers I am submitting for competition rather than rubber banding them on. I've already packed up the box sealed it and have it ready to ship tomorrow. Do you think they would accept the taped on labels? Or do i need to re pack the whole thing and make a run to the store to get rubber bands? Note: this is not a NHC competion or anything/ I have no desire to unpack my perfectly packed box

I'm not sure the OP pays that much attention to the rules. He did post this exact post twice in the same forum about 10 minutes apart :D

Depends on the organizer whether or not they will accept it. I have organized a competition 2 years in a row and have accepted taped labels, but that's because I'm a nice guy and it is a small compeition (under 200 entries).

If there were 500 entries and I was flustered or in a bad mood, I could have just said "Sorry dude but you just wasted your money" and drank them.

SO What I am saying is...RUBBER BANDSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I'd open it up and fix. They *might* just take the labels off for you when they process the bottles in, but that's a chance you are taking.

What's the story behind the rule anyhow? Just curious.

It has to do with the organizer removing YOUR description/name identifying info and entering it into the computer or on the flight sheets by number. You'll get an "entry number" with a sticker or a taped label for the judges, and they will never see your info like the name of the beer or your name. If there is additional info needed, say, like in category 23, the organizer will put that on the label that the judges see.

Some organizers will shrug and do it anyway, but many have 600 other bottles to deal with, that aren't as big as a PITA, and figure if you can't even send your bottles in right they won't make the effort to help you out.

So you accidentally taped up bottles instead of rubber bands, accidentally packed them up as such, and are just now realizing this was an issue? Or did you just not read the rules beforehand?

What these folks have said. If you're not worried about it, don't bother, and you might be ok or you might be disqualified and it depends on the comp and the organizer dealing with the bottles, but as far myself when entering competitions, I assume anything that CAN disqualify an entry WILL disqualify an entry, just to be safe. So caps blacked, previous labels completely removed, and the rules followed to the last t.

If you haven't shipped them yet, then yes, unpack them and repackage them properly.

Another reason for the rule is that the judging is designed to be blind, which means all of the variables have to equal for all entries.

What if the OP knew me, I knew I was judging the flight with his beer, and I knew his was the one with the tape on the bottle. Unscrupitude ensues!

The job of removing the label and relabeling the beer for competition is long and tedious. There are rarely enough volunteers. Taped labels make it that much harder and longer. Give the poor volunteer who will be processing your beer some consideration by unpacking them and labeling them correctly rather than relying upon his goodwill while saddling him with extra work.

Back