Accidentally crash-cooled mid fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scruffymmh

Reaction score
I pitched WLP 001 (California Ale, from a 2L starter) into a robust porter 5 days ago. OG 1.064. I ferment in a full-size fridge using two temp controllers: One for the fridge (cold) has its probe sensing ambient air temp; the other (hot) controls a heatwrap around the carboy, with the probe in a thermowell extending into the wort.

My temp control method is to keep the cold about 15 degrees colder than the hot until high-kreusen finishes after about 3 or 4 days (so that the sudden ramp-up in temp from the yeast is adequately counteracted by the cold fridge temp). In this case, fridge was 51F with 4 degree differential (so 51-55F) and beer was set at 67 with 1 degree differential (so ferments at 66-67F). Everything was going well through tuesday night; temps were fine.

I accidentally forgot to adjust the cold temp up to 61 (or so) by wednesday after high-kreusen, in order to lessen the gap in temperatures. This, paired with the fact that some tape on my fermwrap didn't hold it adequately against the carboy, meant that after the yeast settled down a bit, the fermwrap couldn't overcome the coldness of the fridge to keep the beer at 67F. Thursday night (4 days after picthing), my beer was at 61F, 6 degrees below target fermentation temp. I adjusted the temp of the fridge up to 61F at that point. Since this fridge isn't at my residence, that's all I could at that time. Tonight (Friday, 5 days after pitching), the beer is back up to 67F, but the gravity, as I suspected is only at 1.030. The crash-cool put the yeast to sleep. I was hoping getting it back up to 67 would bring them back, but I couldn't tell if that happened (my blowoff tube and liquid are so full of crap from the kreusen that I can't tell if it's still bubbling).

My question is: What should I do at this point? The yeast should wake back up and continue fermenting out, yes? Is there anything else I definitely should do at this point to get them going again? I could repitch (maybe just from a fresh vial) to get the rest fermented out I suppose. should I put some nutrient in? New yeast? Chill out and let the existing yeast get going again? Any thoughts are appreciated.

That wasn't really a cold crash. Sounds like you just slowed them down a bit. I'd give the carboy a swirl and give it some more time.

Replace the blow-off with an airlock, and bring the temp up to where the yeast like it and you will be fine.

You might want to try and get the yeast back into suspension, but don't aerate the wort. Maybe a gentle stir with a long cane (like a sanitized racking cane), but only after the wort/beer has gotten back to temperature.

Raised to 68F, let go another 2 weeks, and it finished to 1.016, which was just about target. Things turned out fine. Thanks

Back