AC vent for temp control?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sareinhart

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a DIPA with WLP002. Up to now, I've just fermented at room temperature but, the more I read, the more I realize that I want to get fermentation temp lower. I don't have a keezer for a fermentation chamber yet and my basement is basically at the same temp as the rest of my house - 71 F.

So, what if I just keep my fermenter half on the AC vent as a stopgap? Keep that cold air blowing on it. Has anyone ever done this? Does it work?

You could place the fermentor next to the vent and cover the vent and the fermentor with a box. May not be ideal but assuming 50 degree output from vent should reduce fermentor a few degrees.
I am working on using computer fans to feed my 3 bay fermentation chamber using input from the AC plenum. Not sure what I will get but temp is currently steady at 69 degrees.

ive done it. it was when i first started and didnt care as much. beer turned out good. i think room temp was around the same for me. but i fermented with us-05, that strain is better at warmer temps.
Ive never used 002 but i think it's similar to us-04. If it is, it will which throws off alot of esters/fusels at warmer temps.
your easiest and cheapest fix is put your fermenter in a water bath (cooler, bathtub, keg tub, etc) with ice or some frozen 2L bottles. I'd suggest give it all you got the first day with a big bag of ice and frozen bottles to get the fermenter down to upper 50's, low 60's. Then rotate out a few bottles per day for the next few days and by the 3rd or 4th day you can let it go to room temp with no worries.

Thanks!

The box on the fermenter is a great idea! I always use one anyway to keep the dogs away from it.

Hopbrad - Thanks!

You've answered a related question that I had. I was thinking that I could let it drift back to room temperature after the first few days after the real hot period.

Back