Abby Ale ended very low ABV age or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lookwow

Reaction score
So i brewed a abby ale and my poorly designed wort chiller decided to leak about a gallon of water into my pot why i was not looking. Wont happen again but OG ended at 1.051 and not the 1.092 at before cooling.

Plan was to age for 4-6 months. Im guessing now i should just treat it like a normal beer assuming its not infected and bottle after 2-3 weeks.

THoughts??

In general, a beer of that ABV won't age well. You could always keep a few bottles just to see how the flavor develops/degrades over time.

Definitley don't age a beer with that OG. Bottle after 2 weeks or so and chalk it up to one of the "doh" moments that come with home brewing.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks for the input. That is what i was thinking. Give it a few weeks and if i dont see an infection ill bottle and see how it turns out.

You could add some simple syrup sugar during secondary fermentation to bump the abv if you want.

I think as long as the chiller water didn't infect the wort you should be ok with some extra time. If you are worried you can always bottle half after 2 weeks and half later.

Good luck

Back