aaaargh, arrested development, need expert yeast help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nasa258e

Reaction score
So my o.g. on my barleywine was 1.115 I used Wyeast 1945 neobrittania yeast. Now my fermentation has stalled at 1.068! I was planning on using champagne use after, but this is too high. How do I rectify this situation? Any input would be appreciated

Can I just pitch the new yeast, or do I need to reaerate, or do I need to toss it all?

martinator35 said:
how much yeast did you pitch? what method of aeration did you use? have you taken readings over multiple days?

1 package in a one liter starter. However, under advisement of the owner of my lhbs I only added half of the concentrated wort when I pitched and then added the rest of it the next day. I realize that that is likely what caused the problem

nasa258e said:
1 package in a one liter starter. However, under advisement of the owner of my lhbs I only added half of the concentrated wort when I pitched and then added the rest of it the next day. I realize that that is likely what caused the problem

Possibly an inadequate aerobic phase

I don't think you can expect a 1.115 wort to attenuate fully after 6 days.

Don't pay attention to the bubbles, just let it be for a few more weeks. If you get to anxious about it now you may try to solve a problem you don't actually have, and simply make matters worse.

You probably under pitched, but the staggered sugar additions should have helped to minimize that problem some what.

Just let this one ride for a little bit, I don't think you should consider it stuck just because the bubbles stopped.

You doing that didn't cause this problem. It was a good idea and lightened the load for the yeast.
It just wasn't nearly enough yeast for that strain to handle that high gravity. 1 liter starter will not make much if any yeast growth. 2 liters will provide some notable growth. You needed more like 1 gallon of starter. Champagne yeast might help at this point, but be patient and prepare to just try again :D

I would at least let it go for a few more days and check the gravity again before pitching any more yeast. If it is still at 1.068 on Monday then I would consider adding some more yeast.

my .02

D0ug said:
I would at least let it go for a few more days and check the gravity again before pitching any more yeast. If it is still at 1.068 on Monday then I would consider adding some more yeast.

my .02

Thanks guys

So my o.g. on my barleywine was 1.115 I used Wyeast 1945 neobrittania yeast. Now my fermentation has stalled at 1.068! I was planning on using champagne use after, but this is too high. How do I rectify this situation? Any input would be appreciated

Why 1.115. That is really big. If it ferments out fully (to about 1.025), you will be left with a sweet beer somewhere around 13%. How were you going to finish off the beer, you are going to need a high gravity yeast.

What is the abv limit for 1945? The site doesn't say. My bet is it's only good to about 10%.

Do not use Champagne yeast! It doesn't ferment the complex sugars, and being a killer yeast, once you have it in there, it will be difficult to use another ale yeast.

6 days, but all bubbling has stopped. It was at about 71 degrees

How do you know it is finished? ^ days is not long for a beer that big.

They gave you good advice. I think you added the extra sugars too early, you should have waited for fermentation to start slowing down (around day 4).

Big beers need big starters (1 L is nowhere near enough) and lots of aeration for the yeast to get started. I suspect it is not finished yet, but I also suspect it will not get anywhere near where you want it (might make it to 1.040). My suggestion would be to brew another beer (of average OG, 1.050-1.060) with a high gravity yeast (WLP099, or WLP500). When that beer is done, rack this big beer onto it's cake. That way you will have lots of fresh hungry yeast, ready to go, and not need to aerate.

When the beer is finally finished, you might want to use champagne yeast at bottling to help it carbonate.

Back