A Year of CO2 Leaks, Please Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
iirc someone actually took on the attempt to quantify "time" in a carbonation calculator and posted something about it on HBT within the last couple of years. I'd have to try digging for it.

But, in my experience, 5 gallons of under say ~1.015 FG in a corny keg held at 36°F and 12 psi straight CO2 takes a bit over 2 weeks to reach equilibrium. That corresponds to the green line in this chart that @Bobby_M posted in this thread (which might be worth reviewing)...

5970be7036f823f045eaded0b3198501.gif

I mention final gravity because when I used to fully carbonate my 11% imperial stout that finishes somewhere around 1.024-028 it took nearly twice as long just to get to 2.0 volumes. But I switched to beer gas a few years ago so now I only carb it 1.2 volumes...

Cheers!

Cool. I usually do somewhere between the green and blue line: Start with a couple days at 20-25, then drop to serving pressure. (Keezer temp about 45F).

For others looking at possible leak sources, if you are using a taprite regulator with original valve stem, it has an integrated o-ring seal, and I have had mine fail in the past after many years of use - so it was leak free for a very long time, and then all of a sudden became exceptionally leaky. This is one reason I no longer leave my CO2 tank on. I always disconnect my kegs and turn off my tank. I started doing this after losing one tank to a leak, and I am determined not to waste any more CO2. I have so many pieces to my gas system now that I know that even if I have no leaks now, I will eventually develop one, so I'd rather just keep it off when not in use.

For leak testing, I personally use a method similar to what is posted above. I always start with the regulator alone with shut-off valve closed, and then work my way down, one piece at a time. If I am really paranoid, I'll let things sit for a week or more - I have some regulators that will be fine for a couple months, but after about 3 months will have leaked enough to be noticeable - I'm not entirely sure if it is an exceptionally small/slow leak or just the slow permeation through the gasket. Either way, I keep my tanks off.

For others looking at possible leak sources, if you are using a taprite regulator with original valve stem, it has an integrated o-ring seal, and I have had mine fail in the past after many years of use - so it was leak free for a very long time, and then all of a sudden became exceptionally leaky.

Do you have a picture of what original version regulator or part you are talking about? Thanks

I use soapy water but i heard this stuff works well:

Camco 10324 Gas Leak Detector with Sprayer - 8 oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EDUTMC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_TNgnEbS4YYHP1

I have also resorted to dipping parts of my system in large clear buckets/bowls of water to look for gas bubbles.

My last few leaks have all been from bad QDs. I have also had an o-oring on the post go bad and cause a leak.... there is a very small rent in the o-ring that was really easy to overlook.

I think he's talking about the part in the link. The pictures are very helpful

https://www.homebrewing.org/Taprite-Co2-permanant-O-ring-for-Nipple_p_3726.html
Is it common to have some sort of gasket at that connection? As soon as I saw this I checked and one regulator had one the other didn't. I picked up CO2 and asked for this gasket and the Airgas guy had a pack of gaskets so I brought them and installed. I am now carefully testing for leaks which involves repeated keg sampling...

I think he's talking about the part in the link. The pictures are very helpful

https://www.homebrewing.org/Taprite-Co2-permanant-O-ring-for-Nipple_p_3726.html

Yup, that is it exactly. Their pictures show exactly where it would be on the valve stem.

Is it common to have some sort of gasket at that connection? As soon as I saw this I checked and one regulator had one the other didn't. I picked up CO2 and asked for this gasket and the Airgas guy had a pack of gaskets so I brought them and installed. I am now carefully testing for leaks which involves repeated keg sampling...

That particular gasket is only for taprite regulators with their custom valve stem that has that integrated gasket. All other major manufacturers rely on a separate gasket. I personally prefer the nylon ones, but have also used the cardboard style. They should really be considered one time use for the cardboard ones, and the nylon ones should also be replaced regularly (I am guilty of keeping them far too long, and have learned my lesson). I try to keep enough spares on hand that I can just replace it when I put a regulator on a tank - which isn't too often, as I have enough regulators and tanks where I need them, and really only take off the regulators when the tank goes empty or if I'm traveling with them for some reason (I have 3 jockey boxes, so I take my beer around in kegs sometimes). I also have standardized to 20# tanks (I have five) and 50# tanks (Only two), so the regulators on the 50# tanks tend to stay attached for many years at a time.

ETA - I forgot about a different style gasket that I have! I once bought a handful of the gaskets that actually screw into the interior threads of the tank valve. It works similarly to the integrated gasket of the taprite regulators, but you can't use them with taprite regulators because the two gaskets won't seal on each other, and you'll actually increase the likelihood of a leak. I can find a link for anyone that is interested.

Thanks for the link guys. I dont have a leak there, mine is stable with valve shut after wye adapter from regulator which makes that not the source. All my newer taprites have that style gasket inside the brass fitting and i have an older Taprite regulator ~15yo with a conventional oring (similar to other nylon/fiber style gaskets) that has never given me a problem, (original oring too).

I have had both nylon and taprite style gaskets and prefer the taprite gasket version. I find the nylon is too subjective on amount of torque and it relaxed on me over time with the weight of regulator and have sprung a leak that way it went away with a retorque. I have since converted to all Taprite so i know when i bottom brass on brass the gasket is fully compressed in the groove of mating surface and will do its job. I also put a thin film of keg lube there as insurance.

... taprite regulator ...integrated o-ring seal....

I had one of those go bad on me. I didn't have the time/desire to order a new Taprite seal, so I went to Lowes and bought a pack of #9 O-rings (5/8"OD x 7/16"ID x 3/32").

They fit perfectly in the Taprite fitting, and I haven't had a leak there since. I never did order Taprite seals, and don't intend to since the #9 O-rings work so well.

The other leak I had trouble tracing down was caused by the dip & gas tube O-rings on a keg that was almost brand new.

Glad OP got it fixed but for others coming across this thread I had similar issue. Sometimes I might get 10 kegs out of a 5 pound bottle, other times I'd go through a full 20 pound bottle in a week or so. Local CO2 guy wondered if I was running a restaurant or bar.

Last year I switched all my liquid and gas lines to EVABarrier 4mm ID and all my connections to push fit fittings all from Brewhardware.com. I also started using keg lube every time. A tiny dab on each of the 5 main o-rings, every time. No more leaks on the serving side and my cylinders are lasting well. I am still going through a fair amount of CO2 force carbing in unitank and doing closed transfers but just not having the issues I had with PVC lines and worm clamps before.

Latest posts

Back