A wonderful day to brew in MN..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrNuBingTon

Reaction score
Made my starter 2 days ago and am prepared to brew an Imperial Stout that I have been meaning to do for a while... Brewing and homework today...
Here are a couple pics.. It has begun!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Looks like a great day! Now lets see some pics of the finished product in the fermenter!

Pre-soaking rice hulls, I'm actually proud of the adapter I found at Menards to connect a hose to my sink:) pre-heating the Mash Tun, and Mashing in.

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Looking good, glad to see im not the only one on this forum still doing a cooler mash tun, batch sparging process....so jealous seeing a lot of guys setups

wlp007 with a imperial stout...mmmm thats gonna be awesome, whats the recipe?

Looking good, glad to see im not the only one on this forum still doing a cooler mash tun, batch sparging process....so jealous seeing a lot of guys setups

wlp007 with a imperial stout...mmmm thats gonna be awesome, whats the recipe?

Totally agree I feel like Wayne's World "we're not worthy", but gotta start somewhere.

This is my first crack at this recipe I wasn't able to hit the SG so I added 1# Light DME and got it up there. The SRM wasn't what I had expected either so next time I'm going to need to add more color...

Type: All Grain
Date: 2/4/2011
Batch Size: 5.00 gal

1.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract
12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US
9.00 lb Golden Promise
1.50 lb Oats, Flaked
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
0.35 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
0.30 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)
0.30 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)
0.10 lb Coffee Malt (150.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (90 min)
1.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (60 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [7.40 %] (45 min)
1.00 oz Zeus [14.00 %] (30 min)
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 min)
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min)
3.50 oz Cherry Extract (Bottling 5.0 min) ***Maybe***
1.00 lb Lactose (Boil 5.0 min)
1.00 lb Candi Sugar, Dark (275.0 SRM)
1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007)

I ended up getting 1.110 so should be fine depending on how my Secret Agent Yeast does..

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

1.037 9.6%ABV I ended DHing it with some Cascade. I would have liked to see it come out a little stronger alcohol wise (probably mash a tad lower/bigger starter), yet it is very nice to drink; sweet smelling with a very complex middle and finishing with a tiny bite from the alcohol and darker malts. I decided not to use cherry, maybe with the next version. I have to find a way to get the yeast to convert more sugar and make it a little stronger. Force carbed in a corny I love having this on tap.

Looks good...I can't wait for some warmer weather round here.
After all the snow we got this winter mother nature owes us a nice spring

Back