A white girl served me my sushi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnFrum1978

Reaction score
There's this great sushi restaurant I used to enjoy. The portions were big, the food was excellent. The waitress was this grandmotherly looking asian woman, wearing a kimono, who walked taking these tiny little steps. She always used to smile and say, "good job" when I finished my Godzilla platter. I went there for my birthdays, special occasions, you name it.

The other day I was horrified to find this college aged white girl waiting my table. She wore the kimono, but she had a nose ring and these art student looking horn rimmed glasses. She had this nasally voice like the chick from Daria's world. Needless to say the experience was ruined for me. I don't think I'll be going back. :mad:

Does that make me racist? :(

No, but it might make you stupid if it is good. :)

I always do a double take when I go to sushi places that have non-Asian (mostly Hispanic) people preparing the sushi. They are usually next to an older Asian guy, but I do a double take.

There was a thread on here about buying sushi at supermarkets a few years back and when I expressed my utter horror at this concept, I was pounced on by those who apparently do not expect authenticity in sushi. I'm with you man, I want someone serving my sushi who is related to someone my grandfather fought in WWII.

There was a thread on here about buying sushi at supermarkets a few years back and when I expressed my utter horror at this concept, I was pounced on by those who apparently do not expect authenticity in sushi. I'm with you man, I want someone serving my sushi who is related to someone my grandfather fought in WWII.

Or who *is* someone that my grandfather fought in WWII...

(I remember my grandfather causing a bit of an incident on a family vacation when my mom suggested sushi for dinner)

What difference does who serves it make though? He didn't say a nerdy white boy was making it.

What difference does who serves it make though? He didn't say a nerdy white boy was making it.

It's just that, for me, a whole bunch of eating in restaurants is the theater of it, if you will. I'm a competent cook. I can make a meal on par with most restaurants for a lot cheaper. The extra I pay in a restaurant is mostly for the ambiance and the experience itself. I like looking at the ocean at my favorite seafood restaurant. I enjoy the animatronic moose at Bugaboo Creek. And I enjoy having an elderly asian woman (and her cute granddaughter) bring me my Godzilla platter and overpriced beer. An art school hipster just isn't the same thing.

I'd happily let her bring me a latte though.

I guess I did more mean making it, although I definitely cannot think of one sushi place I go to that does not employ all an Asian staff. I am definitely spoiled here when it comes to sushi.

I am more of a Thai food person, but I have often pondered about this idea of "authentic" sushi. Here in Vegas, 98% of the sushi restaurants are owned and operated by Koreans. Some of them hire Mexicans, White Americans, etc. as chefs. Most of these places aren't that bad, and the "authentic" Japanese owned ones aren't far superior. I think that the reason is because sushi, as we eat it, just isn't authentic. Sushi "lasagna" was invented in the US!

There is an authentic sushi place here, and they serve sushi along with all sorts of other interesting dishes. Japanese have such a varied diet, so I think Japanese restaurants that serve more than just sushi are the "real" Japanese restaurants.

Just my two cents!

I've traveled all over Japan and eaten at every venue from highway noodle joints to the very best sushi places in tokyo. Max Toro, no expense limit, sushi.

Sushi is not much different here, at the grocery store, than there. Yea, fatty tuna is great, but the difference in sushi is not remarkable.

However, the culture is night and day. Any American tourist in japan (with a conscience) will have some amount of culture shock, especially if they are from a big city.

One major difference is that it is unusual to find sticky rice in the US. Don't know why that is.

Look, that Japanese grandma is probably irritated serving up the white boy as much you're bothered being served by the white girl...."I'll put my hate in this roll", she says....

There's this great sushi restaurant I used to enjoy. The portions were big, the food was excellent. The waitress was this grandmotherly looking asian woman, wearing a kimono, who walked taking these tiny little steps. She always used to smile and say, "good job" when I finished my Godzilla platter. I went there for my birthdays, special occasions, you name it.

The other day I was horrified to find this college aged white girl waiting my table. She wore the kimono, but she had a nose ring and these art student looking horn rimmed glasses. She had this nasally voice like the chick from Daria's world. Needless to say the experience was ruined for me. I don't think I'll be going back. :mad:

The irony is that the old asian woman is probably Chinese or Korean anyway, so it's not like you're losing any authenticity.

Give me the address and I'll get her out of there for however long maternity leave is. I'll require two corny kegs due to the "art school student" nature (don't ask where I go to school).

I'm not ultra concerned about authenticity. But they should at least be trying a little bit. I mean I may as well have been served by a clown with a red wig and a yellow jumper.

Totally unrelated but the last time I had Chinese, an employee who very much looked the part was wearing a hat with a shamrock on it with the text "Irish Pride." It was perfect. Am I racist for laughing?

I knew a Chinese family that owned a Chinese restaraunt, and they chose to hire Mexican cooks - because they'd follow directions and cook the recipes how the owners wanted it, without any culinary license that other Chinese cooks would do....

We dont want no whitey's working in a chinease or mexican resteurant. Unless we like macoroni or hotdogs in our dish.

I totally agree. I quite going to Hooters when my server looked like this:
hooters.jpg

To be fair, chances are you eat sushi from non japanese anyways. It would be like im at a italian restaurant and rather have a german make my food than someone from china.

im an white sushi chef, you got an Fing problem with that nazi:rockin:

Sure as hell does.

Okay. Looks like people are getting testy. I guess, in the end, it's my dining experience so it doesn't matter what other people think. It's my money and I'll eat where I want.

A place down the road opened up where the food is just as good, is a little cheaper, and they have a good looking teenaged asian chick in a tight t shirt waiting the tables. I'm going there

If the food is good, the prices reasonable & the service satisfactory, who cares what race the waitress is; she a WAITRESS. As long as you get good service, I'd be more concerned about the skill of the chef preparing the food. I think you're just used to the ambiance & aren't yet comfortable with the change. Nothing wrong with being traditional, though the more traditional, usually the more expensive it will be.

As far as being a "racist" goes, I think it takes a little more than wanting sushi served by an Asian to qualify for that title, see the definition below & make your own decision.
Regards, GF.

rac·ism   /ˈreɪsɪzəm
[rey-siz-uhm]

–noun
1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

I guess I did more mean making it, although I definitely cannot think of one sushi place I go to that does not employ all an Asian staff. I am definitely spoiled here when it comes to sushi.

All the sushi I've ever gotten at my Kroger's Surpermarkets have all been made by ASIANS.

That's all they hire, at least in the four Kroger's I've picked it up in.

SO if that's your main criteria, then I guess Kroger's Sushi is pretty authentic then, even more so than the Op's, eh? ;)

24998a7a55c3e00f8aa770556727dbb67a9f11de_sushi_make011510hs.jpg

medium_mks.newKroger2.jpg

55993568_-1_534345b.jpg

:D

I wonder if in Asia they pay a premium to white people to work in McDonald's? If you were in Japan and a white guy was not manning the fry-o-later at the McDonald;s would you feel less satisfied by you BigMac there?

I wonder if in Asia they pay a premium to white people to work in McDonald's? If you were in Japan and a white guy was not manning the fry-o-later at the McDonald;s would you feel less satisfied by you BigMac there?

You'd eat McDonald's if you were visiting Japan?

Revvy, if I saw them making it, I would probably try it also. There's a few all-you-can eat places we go to where the bulk of the food is made in the back by the MExican staff, but the sushi is made in front of you by Asians probably for that reason.

You'd eat McDonald's if you were visiting Japan?

Revvy, if I saw them making it, I would probably try it also. There's a few all-you-can eat places we go to where the bulk of the food is made in the back by the MExican staff, but the sushi is made in front of you by Asians probably for that reason.

They'll even make fresh for you even if there's a bunch of just made packages in the cooler in front of their little kiosk, even if they just put them in.

Kroger's even doing mix sixers of craft beers these days.

Back