A walk on the wild side

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarter

Reaction score
Well, I have just mashed 9 lbs marris otter and 1 lb 30 L caramel malt and should start the boil within the hour. I plan to add 1.5 oz kent goldings at 60 and 10 minutes. Sounds a little stout for an ale but I think thats ok. The wild part is that I plan to pitch some 1st generation safe ale yeast which was pulled off a batch of brown ale about three weeks ago. Im not sure what to expect but since it has been refrigerated for so long but Im hoping everything goes well.

Has anyone else used yeast after almost a month in the fridge? If so, how did it work out? Ill tell you tommorow how mine does!

9 lbs Maris Otter, 1 lb crystal, 3 oz EKG. If you need help drinking it, I'll volunteer.
I've often kept yeast in the fridge for well over a month, but I've always washed it, and made a starter before brewing. I only once had a slight problem with a brew that fermented very slowly in the primary for almost 5 weeks before it slowed down enough to rack to secondary. In spite of this, the beer tasted great.

-a.

dcarter said:
Has anyone else used yeast after almost a month in the fridge? If so, how did it work out? Ill tell you tommorow how mine does!
I have, a number of times. No problems. Even some that I did not wash, turned out great. Totally unrelated beers (from porter to Pale Ale) and no off flavors.

I pitched about 30 minutes ago, I pitched it cold into 80 degree wort.:cross: Ill let everyone know how it comes out. It should make for some interesting brew if nothing else.

oh yeah, I hopped it up a bit also, ended up going with 4 oz EKG. woo hoo

Back