A very 'yeasty' gravity reading sample

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballardinho

Reaction score
Hi all....

So, about to rack my second-ever brew. It's an IPA that brought about some odd brew day experiences, but nonetheless is about done fermenting and actually tastes pretty darn good.

I do notice that my samples have had quite a bit of yeast floating about. I double pitched and had a radical fermentation for first couple days. I am ASSUMING that my yeast cake is a little thicker and actually may be up last my spigot that I use to take samples from. In which case, I probably won't use spigot to rack to secondary, but rather siphon from bucket to carboy.

Does this sound somewhat normal? Does my assumption about the excess yeast caused by true overtaking spigot level sound about right?

Any thoughts or suggestions are always appreciated!

If you're taking samples from the spigot at the bottom of your fermenter then of course you'll get some trubby stuff too. Next time, try leaving your fermenter slightly tilted away from the spigot so that everything settles away from the spigot and cold crash a few days before bottling. Even better, cold crash and use a siphon.

Does cold crashing require the use of a refrigerator? If so, don't think I'll be able to do that. I'm just planning to rack to secondary, dry hop, then bottle from bucket.

No need for a fermentor or refrigerator to cold crash.

Buy a keg bucket ($6.00 at Walmart) put the fermentor in the bucket and add water and ice. Keep the temps very low for 2 days or so (as cold as possible) and then rack.

This is how many regulate fermentation temps as well.

Oh, some suggest cold crashing and then dry hopping. Most notably for reasons suck as the cold crashing after/during dry hopping will cause the oils in hops to drop out of suspension.

Opinions vary if cold crashing works to clear the beer. I think it does based on my experience and prefer to do it in most beers.

Back