A VERY SERIOUS Poll about bears

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your theory about using bears in fermentation?

• I don't like it. In fact, I hate it a LOT.

• Dry Bearing is the super awesomest!!!!

• Gnome detection is too expensive.

• My dog eats the bears.

• I find myself attracted to bears.

• I am attracted to my dog.

• My dog is attracted to my bear.

• You get the idea.....

• I likes me some BREW FARIES.

• Hi, what was the question?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yeah, and I scraped up enough to get a lifetime membership for this.....

Glad you are getting your money's worth.

Cheezy, where do you live? I'm taking a road trip in April or May and might be able to make a pit stop to meet your madness.

PM'd

I wrap my carboy on tinfoil to prevent the gnomes from sexting the bears!

I thought that tin foil was for hunting down were-pigs....

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/only-one-mythical-beast-life-293117/

At one point in this conversation (when it was still confined to bears, gnomes, faerie and turtles), I felt like I could contribute meaningfully. The level you guys have taken it to, however, is truly astounding. You're so far above me, I'm just sitting back in awe.

Oh, fear not, this is the culmination of 9 or 10 previous messed up threads. Your posts have been downright inspiring, and fit right in.

Cheezy, I've had it man. I'm stopping at the walrus and that's that. It seems like the bears, turtles, and whales just aren't doing a good enough job fending off the gnomes and fairies and it always seems to turn into a blood bath (which we all know causes a metallic off-flavor). I'll probably put up some concertina wire, sand bags, and a laser defense system around my fermenter for good measure, but I'm pretty sure the walrus will be enough. If it works for the inuits, it should work for me. I've got the toilet paper and milk so it's time to set off to meet my contact in Alaska.

While you are in Alaska could you check to see if a turbo trommel will clear my beer of bears, gnomes, walruses, turtles, and the like. I saw one on tv that filters to something like a micron. "Its the worlds best trommel" Maybe I should invest in one to clear the infestation.

Would the ASPCA or PETA frown on this?

While you are in Alaska could you check to see if a turbo trommel will clear my beer of bears, gnomes, walruses, turtles, and the like. I saw one on tv that filters to something like a micron. "Its the worlds best trommel" Maybe I should invest in one to clear the infestation.

Would the ASPCA or PETA frown on this?

That would mean a side trip to the interior. I'll procure one, but you're gonna have to share with the rest of the class. I'd think the SPCA would be ok with it since you're not trying to kill or maim the critters. Who gives a s*** about PETA? I've thought about offing a couple of them to feed to my salsa sharks.

The part that scares me the most about chezzy´s threads is that they are starting to make perfect sense

I've thought about offing a couple of them to feed to my salsa sharks.

Man goes into the cage. Cage goes into the salsa. Shark is in the salsa. Our Shark.

And PETA? People for the Eating of Tasty Animals? Hey I am a member in good standing. I love animals, especially in a good gravy. Just eat your kills and you will be fine. They are already beer marinaded and everything.

Man goes into the cage. Cage goes into the salsa. Shark is in the salsa. Our Shark.

And PETA? People for the Eating of Tasty Animals? Hey I am a member in good standing. I love animals, especially in a good gravy. Just eat your kills and you will be fine. They are already beer marinaded and everything.
don't you mean bear marinated?

The part that scares me the most about chezzy´s threads is that they are starting to make perfect sense

What's not to understand?

In my subterranian mash tun (number 487) which holds 8.3 billion pounds of grain, I pump in water that passes close to the center of the earth to be heated to a very specific temp.

Pumps then move the wort into the center of the earth where it actually boils in the pipes, picking up caches of hops set in inside the pipes at specific places for specific additions. The boiling wort eventually passes into pipes which run through the ocean and arctic glaciers (causing climate change) on it's way to my subterranian fermenter in the arctic.

Fermentation is complicated. The several cubic miles of actively fermenting wort in the center generates heat. Most of the surface and sides and bottom wort are allowed to freeze in order to keep the fermenting wort from going over 68F in any one place.

Bears and whales (usually 50 of each) are added at this point for flavor and gnome deterrant respectively.

The National Geographic crew was a favor to a friend of mine.........never again.

The national geographic crew was well equipped with a lot that made sense, and a few things that didn't. they had what looked like a small still and about 40 baked potatoes.

Evidently they made some "gone over" potato wine and died in the fermenter.

At that time I had whales equipped with lasers and all that was found was one burned up boot, but we are pretty sure that the whales only had their way with an already dead body, or maybe just a floating boot.

I, along with several others here, have a small stable of zombies that we harvest the occasional arm from to make a fantastic zombie arm lambic. Dry limbed.

Guess that about....OH!!! Were-pigs. Extremely powerful adversaries. You need tin foil and a baseball to effectively catch one. They evidently aid the gnomes and are a general nuissance.

So you see, Nothing complicated.

Ok, now that you mentioned we're-pigs I have to ask about man bear pigs. Being that they are both bear and pig are they double agents, does it depend on the specie, or are just unpredictable and not worth your time?

Ok, now that you mentioned we're-pigs I have to ask about man bear pigs. Being that they are both bear and pig are they double agents, does it depend on the specie, or are just unpredictable and not worth your time?

there is another thread for that issue please guys keep things on topic:p

I sit corrected. So would that make it bear marinated beer? Or bear marinated bear for that extra bearey goodness?

Actually, not to get too technical, but it's bear meer-inated boar beer. As in, bare bears marinated in beer, served with meerkat garnish and a side of boar. Divinity, this is thy true self.

ILoveBeer2 said:
I think koala would make a great addition. The only problem is it would take the beer out of style.

Perhaps if it was a beer you are going use for a Black and Tan but I'm just a rookie with bears.

Perhaps if it was a beer you are going use for a Black and Tan but I'm just a rookie with bears.

You know, that's an excellent point. You could add the koala to the pale ale, and dry-bear the stout, it might blend really nicely...wow, now I might have to brew up some new recipes...

I can't believe you guys are still using bear in your beers. I have been no-bearing for over a year and every one of my beers have been fantastic.

Don't get all holy bear balls on me either, the Aussies have been no-bearing forever without any problems!

I can't believe you guys are still using bear in your beers. I have been no-bearing for over a year and every one of my beers have been fantastic.

Don't get all holy bear balls on me either, the Aussies have been no-bearing forever without any problems!

OK look that might be true, but when you've got access to fresh wallabies that makes the whole issue totally different. Are you going to tell me that you've got a wallaby source somewhere nearby? Because if not, I still don't see how you get around dry-bearing, at least for your bigger beers...

Good lord people....the only bears kosher for beer are black, Brown(aka grizzly), and polar bears. Koalas are not true bears, pandas are an ethical no-go, and if you put a Sun bear in your beer, you're gonna regret it. Between the jungle must and funk it brings and the native tribes' tendency to dispatch foreigners with prejudice, I don't think it's worth it.

Good lord people....the only bears kosher for beer are black, Brown(aka grizzly), and polar bears. Koalas are not true bears, pandas are an ethical no-go, and if you put a Sun bear in your beer, you're gonna regret it. Between the jungle must and funk it brings and the native tribes' tendency to dispatch foreigners with prejudice, I don't think it's worth it.

Look, no disrespect but I know the received wisdom on this is "only brown/black/polar bears". I guess my question is whether anyone has TRIED other bear-like alternatives, where bears weren't readily available, or didn't fit the flavor profile? I mean, can we really say that koalas, kinkajous, coatis and badgers are really inferior, if we're not even going to test our assumptions? I for one am willing to take a risk, if only to learn something new...

HELP. I primed a Single Elf Single Fairy with honey bear and tried to bottle, but then I read that it ferments out completely. Am I going to get bottle bombs? And if the honey bear fermented out, where is it? I'd just put them in the fridge to slow it down normally, but since I dry-beared with Koala and now I find that a Koala isn't a true bear, I'm worried about off-bear flavors.

My brewing buddy told me to RDWHAHB, but SWMBO thinks the MT wasn't big enough for the OG on the SMaSH. Thoughts?

HELP. I primed a Single Elf Single Fairy with honey bear and tried to bottle, but then I read that it ferments out completely. Am I going to get bottle bombs? And if the honey bear fermented out, where is it? I'd just put them in the fridge to slow it down normally, but since I dry-beared with Koala and now I find that a Koala isn't a true bear, I'm worried about off-bear flavors.

My brewing buddy told me to RDWHAHB, but SWMBO thinks the MT wasn't big enough for the OG on the SMaSH. Thoughts?

This.

Exactly why I no-bear.

Look, it's hard to be helpful unless you give us more specifics.

What sex was the honey bear, and how close did you shave its fur before priming?
Did you use oxygen-absorbing caps? YOU MUST USE OXYGEN ABSORBING CAPS!
Honey bears are impervious to cold, so putting them in the refrigerator won't slow down the fermentation--the only way to prevent bottle bombs is to distract them with mariachi music (little known fact: honey bears LOVE mariachi music). Play it at full volume until the beer is drunk. Or the bear. Bears get drunk sometimes too.
I'm still waiting to hear back from anyone else who has tried Koala, but please NO OPINIONS! If anyone has scientific studies that shows that Koalas produce off-bear flavors, I'd be happy to see it. Otherwise, I'm not interested.

In the annuit rheinsgebear thread we addressed this. Old styles are great with good reason, but.....
There is a decent stout that has freaking oysters in it. You gonna boycot dry dogged beers too??????

More for us I guess.

In the annuit rheinsgebear thread we addresses this. Old styles are great with good reason, but.....
There is a decent stout that has freaking oysters in it. You gonna boycot dry dogged beers too??????

More for us I guess.

Do they dry-oyster? Salmonella...cha cha cha! And yes, I will boycot dry dogged beers too. Unless we're talking about St. Bernards or Burnese Mountain dogs. Those breeds really bring life to alpine lagers.

Do they dry-oyster? Salmonella...cha cha cha! And yes, I will boycot dry dogged beers too. Unless we're talking about St. Bernards or Burnese Mountain dogs. Those breeds really bring life to alpine lagers.

WTF monkey??????

If any other breeds have been used, I have yet to hear about it.

cheezydemon3 said:
WTF monkey??????

If any other breeds have been used, I have yet to hear about it.

I've used Great Pyrinees, it give a similar flavor, and I've used Yellow Lab for some of pale ales and lagers.

Back