A spead, price, and tast echallenge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texascoyotedog

Reaction score
To whom it may concern,
The challenge is to make a bar quality, 4-5%, brew to keg to drink in a week, sub $15, 5 gallon beer using household, grocery store, feed store, or brew shop ingredients. I would think harvested yeast, rice, and wheat to be involved but I'm new. You tell me. I'm not asking for award winning beer but I am asking for beer that brews and the uneducated would both drink if it was the only thing on tap. That is without making funny faces. I realize older is better but I really want to explore all beers from fine to utilitarian.:mug:
Thank you,
TCD

one week would be tough two doable
but
8 lbs 2 row 10 bucks
3/4 oz haltauer 60 2 bucks
1/4 oz 5
pitch on cake
hopefully done in 2 days
keg force carb good luck

fermentation under pressure may speed up the process but i haven't messed with it yet so...

Most of my beers cost less than that. But it will cost you $$$ to get to that point. Seriously.

1 week is tough. If you pitch a LOT of yeast, it will finish fast. A smallish beer like a Kolsch will finish in maybe 5 days. You could drop the temp to 0C and rack and drink.

Whatever you do, WLP007 (Dry English) can ferment a 1.050 beer out in 3 days and drop mostly clear by 5... keg and carb for 2 days, and there you go!

I second Koed. Ed Wort has a good recipe. I brewed this batch 12 days ago. 7 days primary. 3 Secondary. 2 in the keg. Not an award winning beer but it cost under $20 to brew (had my own yeast) and is drinkable. If you have a couple more weeks you could have a much better beer. Search under recipes for Hause Pale Ale and it is one of the most popular ones. Many great reviews. It's my go to when I feel like a beer but don't know what I want.

Also session beers are good for short notice. They typically have a 4-5%ABV and are ready pretty quick.

I just realized how much I was enjoying lasts nights tasting when I read the title. I do spell better than that but no by much.
Thanks for all the responses. Please post recipes and instructions as well as any tricks for speed, cost, and quality.

:rockin:

Keep it under 5% and use either 007, 1968, or 1728 which will ferment a beer in 2-3 days (with proper oxygenation and pitching rates). They'll then drop clear shortly after that.

Ferment in a sanke with a spunding set to 10 psi for the first 2 days, pitch insane amount of yeast, crank spunding to 25psi for the big finish. Chill, then pressure transfer through a filter to serving tank. Maybe 5 days to somewhat drinkable. Sounds like a pain in the ass to me.

Back