A semi fast brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

japa2121

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Two days ago I started my first brew. It was a brewers best belgian triple. I was going to move it to a secondary fermenter but after reading posts about the risks I decided I am just going to let it sit in the primary for about a month before bottling. I did not realize that the triple would take about 2-3 months to be ready to drink. My kit came with a glass carboy and since I am not using it as a secondary I think I'll use it as a primary on a new batch. Could anyone recommend a recipe to try out that will be done relatively quickly (when compared to a triple)? I would like to stick to extracts until I get a few more brews under my belt. Also any tips on the triple would be appreciated.

Who says it takes 2 to 3 months. Dupont is bottling in a week I believe. They ferment at 95 F to get it done quick.

Providing you are not using one of the akward strains that stall around 1.030 (and Dupont is one of them), there is no reason why you can't bottle in a couple of weeks. Belgians tend to improve with time, but you don't have to leave them that long.

Quick beers - generally low abv (4 to 5%), and simple recipe. Wheat, brown, pale ale, etc, even stouts and porters.

The one thing I'd caution you about would be the size of the glass carboy. If it was sold as part of the kit and intended to be used as a secondary fermenter, it may only be 5 gallons. That would be insufficient to use as a primary fermenter for a 5 gallon batch (we usually use 6.5 gallon carboys to permit adequate headspace for krausen). That said, I personally prefer glass carboys for my primary fermenters, and you can readily find plenty of used 6.5 gallon glass carboys on Craigslist and Kijiji for $10 - $20.

Generally beers ferment out completely within a month. More like 2-3 weeks on average. When they say to leave it for months they're usually talking about conditioning in the bottle, especially on something like a tripel that is higher alcohol and needs some aging time. Those will also take longer to carbonate in the bottle since the higher alcohol will inhibit the yeast.

I disagree that the 5 gallon carboy is too small. Is it ideal? No. I've made it work before. You will have to rig up a blowoff hose, as there will not be enough headspace for all that krausen. It could work if you can't wait for the primary to be empty.

Also, you can bulk age in a carboy or you can bottle age. For this style, I would bottle when it's done (maybe give it an extra week after it hits FG) and then let it condition/age out in bottles. That way your primary is empty and your Tripel will be carbonating and conditioning.

I would rack it over to the carboy to empty the bucket. Then look for an ipa if you want to brew something quicker. Due to ipa's loosing hop flavor there meant to be drank sooner unlike other beers which may benefit from either time in a secondary or bottle aging.

Thanks for the responses. I think I am going to order a kama citra session ipa recipe kit and rack my triple to the carboy once it comes in.

Latest posts

Back