A quick temperature question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefjeremy

Reaction score
I just started to lager my Pink Elephant clone. It's been 4 days now. My problem is that I'm brewing an APA in the midst of a nasty heatwave.
Would it hurt to raise the temp to 63 or so so that the apa can ferment in the same chamber?

Which yeast are you using for your Pink Elephant? What is the optimum fermentation range for this yeast?

The pink elephant (a delirium tremens clone) has already fermented out to 1.002 using wlp-570 and S-04. I'm using US-05 for the APA

Your lager has fermented out more than 75% so it may be ready for a diacetyl rest. Four days seems a really short time to reach this point, but the combination of yeasts did it.
Check out information on time and temperature for diacetyl rests. I have limited knowledge here. It seems the rest would be done at a higher temperature than 63°F. Raising the temp for a d-rest would allow the APA to ferment out to a point where it could be removed from temp control and then drop the temp for your lager to finish.
I will no longer ferment below 65° with US-05 though. Below 65° 05 can produce peach flavors.

Hopefully this information is near correct and more knowledgeable brewers will have an answer also.

It's not a lager, he's just lagering his Belgian. Raising the temp won't hurt it. It sounds like you're just lagering to clear it and age it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It's not a lager, he's just lagering his Belgian. Raising the temp won't hurt it. It sounds like you're just lagering to clear it and age it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Darn. Pink Elephant threw me. I try to avoid seeing them.

Exactly, bcmyer. So it shouldn't hurt anything to let it go at 65 for a few weeks while the apa ferments, then I'll crash them both back down to 34?

Exactly, bcmyer. So it shouldn't hurt anything to let it go at 65 for a few weeks while the apa ferments, then I'll crash them both back down to 34?

You don't have to leave the APA at 65 for a few weeks. It just needs the tight temp control for the first vigorous part of fermentation. Once that starts to die down (usually after about 4-5 days or so) you can just put it at room temperature and get your Pink Elephant back to lagering temps. A little bump in temperature as the fermentation is slowing can actually be beneficial in getting full attenuation.

Latest posts

Back