A quick question about yeast washing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pumpkinman2012

Reaction score
I've read the threads and tutorials on yeast washing, I've even read the "yeast washing illustrated" thread, but for some reason I just cannot wrap my head around it...kinda feeling like a *******...

I screwed up a bit right from the get go...I diluted the traub with the water as per the instructions, instead of waiting for it to settle out and trying to collect just the top layer after it settled out, I collected everything in two big mason jars.

I've attached a few pics of what it looks like now, my question is:
Should I pour both of them into a larger container with more water and wait for it to settle out and attempt to collect the top layer/yeast, or can I try to harvest the yeast from these mason jars?
I'd like to try to save the yeast, this was 2 vials of WLP002.
Thanks in advance for your help.

yeast1.jpg

yeast4.jpg

yeast5.jpg

In my experience 002 is one of the hardest yeasts to wash because it flocs so fast. That stuff is heavy.

If I were you, I would just keep the jars as they are & put them in the fridge.

When you're close to brewing, decant the liquid and pitch them into a starter. I would imagine that there are enough cells in there to do the job.

Back