A new life for a dead freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monster Mash

Reaction score
My kegerator freezer died and I needed a 14cu ft to replace it so my collar would fit. I found a 12cu ft for free so I took it and decided to use it as a freezer for hops, meat, pizzas...ect. Instead of throwing out my dead freezer I set next to the good freezer and piped cold air into it with a temp controlled fan.

The freezer gets down to 26 degrees and the dead freezer gets down to 40. with a little mod I can get both down to freezing but I will hold the dead one at 38 for keg storage.

0227120636.jpg

0226121508.jpg

0227120635.jpg

0228121734.jpg

0228121729.jpg

0228121735b.jpg

Great idea. Do you think you'd get better temp equalization if you put in a second fan for return air?

Right now both the return and feed are at the top of both freezers. I'm going to bring the feed line to the bottom of the working freezer and the return to the bottom of the dead one, that way it will draw the coldest air from both.

One fan seems to have plenty of flow but I might add another one if the new piping doesn't transfer cold better.

How did you wire the computer fan. About to put a stc1000 onto my freezer for temp control. Im good with dig but bad about electricity knowledge. Wouldn't it be too much power for the fan to wire it into the power cord?

How did you wire the computer fan. About to put a stc1000 onto my freezer for temp control. Im good with dig but bad about electricity knowledge. Wouldn't it be too much power for the fan to wire it into the power cord?
Most fans of this type are 12 volt. If you can find a 110 volt fan then it will work as you suggest. Otherwise you will just need a 110v to 12v source (12v DC power supply from a thrift store.)

I had a huge problem with condensation and ice build up due to the warm air moving around in the freezer. I solved the problem by adding a 10' X 4" flexible duct. Now my freezer stays below 0 and my keggerator stays around 45 degrees.

I still need to defrost and clean up the freezer because it had about 3" of ice on the bottom.

97B1766F.jpg

49B19471.jpg

I am thinking of a build like this: with a ferm chamber ontop of my Keezer. What do you mean the 4" ducting solved the condensation issue? did you just snake this around the keezer to get the temperature of the air down before hitting the freezer?

Thanks,
Steve

i would assume once it is cold then it wouldn't need to kick in all that often since they are both insulated quite well.. nice work, hope mine doesn't die in the near future but good to know there is an alternate route to scrapping it :)

Back