A little too much Oak for a Christmas fail. Need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthCitra

Reaction score
I had an oatmeal stout i brewed about a month and a half ago, figured i would try my hand at adding oak cubes. i soaked 2oz of French medium toast cubes in gentlemens jack(its all i had on hand) for about 2 months prior. also grabbed a couple vanilla beans while i was out and soaked those as well. Once my brew reached final gravity, i threw the whiskey, cubes and vanilla beans into the carboy and let that sit for another two weeks. I tried it after, the aroma was awesome and picked up alot of vanilla with a hint of oak, on the taste the oak was pretty strong and i just figured it was because i just pulled a little bit next to a couple cubes floating. I bottled like normal and left it alone to carb up before i send these as Christmas gifts. I just tried it over the weekend and the aroma is right where i wanted it, nice roasty with hints of vanilla and oak. Took a sip and it was a huge smokey oak bonfire and ends with a whiskey burn. I liked everything but the middle and not sure if i can give this out as gifts now, not everyone likes oak as much as i do.

My question is, will the oak mellow out with time? im sure if i should just put a warning label on it and hand it out so the family can enjoy in the summer or if i should hold on to the entire batch for next year. Its not a over 6% and im not too sure how that will hold up for aging a year. Any advice will help.

Thanks and Merry Christmas! :tank:

It will mellow significantly after a couple months. I brewed a couple Oaked stouts and the oak was almost undetectable after 2-3 months in the bottles.

It will mellow significantly after a couple months. I brewed a couple Oaked stouts and the oak was almost undetectable after 2-3 months in the bottles.

oh wow, that fast? How strong was the oak to begin with?

I agree it will mellow. Not sure on the timing, guess it depends on your taste buds and how much oak flavor was really put out there. I would guess by St Patties it would be awesome.

oh wow, that fast? How strong was the oak to begin with?

I used 2oz of medium toast oak spirals in 5.5 gallons. It had a nice hit of oak initially. Seems that cold aging the bottles under refrigeration really mellows them out. I usually cold age for a week or 2 before enjoying most of my beers with the exception of dry hopped ales.

I have an Imperial Oatmeal Stout that I accidentally oaked for nearly 3 months with medium toast chips. It was un-pallatable at first. After 7-months in bottle and it's finally decent. I probably have another 2-3 months of bottle conditioning before it's where I'd like it to be.

At least there is hope for this! thanks everyone, i guess i will make everyone hold the bottle for a few months until i give the go.

Ditto on what others are saying. I left a barleywine in a fresh char barrel for 3.5 months. It was over oaked to the point that I thought I needed to brew a new batch and blend the two. After 4 months cold conditioning in the keg - its right on the money!

Time will change the oak dramatically. I have a Bourbon Barrel Quad that's probably 18 months old- not much wood but huge vanilla flavors- had no vanilla before, nice toasty oak.

I hope my batch will live 2-3 years, it is transforming in interesting ways- a great new way to appreciate a beer.

Back