A little help finding fryer to move to AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarmerJoe

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm looking to go all grain for my next batch and I'm looking for a turkey fryer that'll be in around the 80 dollar range (give or take a few bucks, but preferably overall after shipping and all). I'm going to be doing 5 gallon boils using the BIAB technique. I've seen a Bayou classic 3066a on amazon in the sub-$70 range. I think it's about 55,000 btu with a 32qt pot. I'm just looking to make sure that 55,000 btu will be just fine for a 5 gallon full boil.

Or have you guys seen any better deals around recently. I'm looking to place my order by the end of this week. My local wal-mart and lowe's don't really carry much for turkey burner in-store. Thanks in advance

A whole lot of people, including me, use the Bayou Classic SQ14. It's about $50, depending on where you get it, and fills most everyone's needs - It'll seat a keggle and can do 10-gallon batches.

Cabelas had a turkey fryer listed at about $40 but I don't know if they still have it. Go to their website and do a search for turkey fryer.

A whole lot of people, including me, use the Bayou Classic SQ14. It's about $50, depending on where you get it, and fills most everyone's needs - It'll seat a keggle and can do 10-gallon batches.

Amazon has both the Bayou Classic SQ14 and SP10 (both $50)...however I opted for the SP10 which is similar, but circular and gets up to 184,000BTU. It's pretty bad*ss...got my 7 gallons of wort up to a boil in no time! Not sure if it would hold a keggle due to the circular shape, but fits my bayou classic 9 gallon pot just fine.

AND it sounds like a jet engine and keeps the neighbors' kids from getting too close. :rockin:

But, to answer your question - 55,000 BTU is just fine for a 5 gallon boil. If you are currently using an electric stove top like I was...you'll be blown away by how much faster the outdoor burners work.

Thanks for the help guys. You got me pointed in the right direction. Soboness, thanks for letting me know the difference between those 2 models, it's another question I had in mind.

Latest posts

Back