A lid lifter confesses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike004

Reaction score
Is it bad practice to "lift the lid" during primary fermentation?
I tend to have a quick look every day or so, but some people advise against it...can this lead to a "vinegar" tasting brew?

Mike

as long as you are not gawking at it for hours when you lift the lid, you really do run very little chance of getting an infection by opening it up. True, you do increase your chances of infection, but the chances are so small that I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If the curiosity is killing you and you continue to worry about it, just drop the $20 and buy a 6.5 gallon glass carboy for your primary fermenter and you can stare at it lovingly all day long if you want. :D

edit: the more 'complete' your fermentation, the lower your chance of getting an infection (vinegar flavors are caused by bacterial infections.) This is because your beer starts to increase in alcohol content and the yeast are in full force. The alcohol and crazy gangs of yeast will stomp on bacteria that gets in there and kill it pretty effectively. Just don't let the dog lap beer out of the fermenter and you'll be good.

Also... if you are just after a small peek, try removing the rubber stopper/airlock and look through the hole. VERY small opening for stuff to get through.

-walker

I agree, you get a MUCH better show out of a carboy/primary. Stuff is swirling around in there, foam bubbling on the top, its much more entertaining. In addition, its easier to disinfect than a plastic bucket. Just dump some bleach and water, or sanitizer in there, let it sit for a while, give it a good scrubbing with a carboy brush, drain it, let it dry (upside down), cover the hole with aluminum foil or something, and you'll be ready to go for your next batch. Plastic tends to get scratched. Scratches can harbor some nasty bacteria, also, plastic tends to absorb smells that the glass carboy won't.

My advice, go to your local Culligan or water cooler company. Ask them if they have glass carboys. Our local place sells carboys for $10. That's for a 5.5 gallon carboy, but its still a good price and a great investment.

I've noticed my carboys getting some skunky smells that aren't going away. For my sanitaztion routine this time, I filled them to the brim with warm water and dumped in a couple glugs of bleach, then stirred with my racking cane. I let my Primary sit with bleach-water overnight, then dumped, refilled with water, added Starsan and let it sit while I brewed. I dumped it right before adding my wort, but I still noticed brown walls and a skunky odor. And yes, I even gave it a light brushing with my bottle brush to remove and stuck-on gunk.

Put some oxyclean in there and see if that gets it off. If it doesn't, use vinegar.

Cheesefood said:
For my sanitation routine this time, I filled them to the brim with warm water and dumped in a couple glugs of bleach, then stirred with my racking cane.

You should put the bleach in first then fill it up. The addition of water will do the stirring for you. :D

The funny thing about bleach is we all wash our whites in hot water and bleach, but most instructions say to use cold water for cleaning carboys. :confused:

homebrewer_99 said:
You should put the bleach in first then fill it up. The addition of water will do the stirring for you. :D

The funny thing about bleach is we all wash our whites in hot water and bleach, but most instructions say to use cold water for cleaning carboys. :confused:

I don't know about everybody else, but I do NOT wash my hands with hot water and BLEACH. Soap, yes, but not bleach.

Don't go confusing the chlorine (or chloramine) in your water supply with bleach. Bleach contains chlorine, but chlorine is not bleach.

Many/some of us use a sanitizer/iodophor in a spray bottle and spray down our hands....I don't come in contact with soap while brewing.

Most of the stuff we handle will dissolve in warm/hot water anyway. It's just sugar water when you break it down. That's why it is easier to clean up (or at least "soak") while working/brewing.

homebrewer_99 said:
... The funny thing about bleach is we all wash our whites in hot water and bleach, but most instructions say to use cold water for cleaning carboys. :confused:

That's because you close the lid on your washing machine (hopefully:p), thus making it a 'closed system'. Hot water and bleach will leach off toxic fumes! I read just a week or so ago that warm water (80oF-100oF) is ideal - it supposedly optimizes the bleaches effectiveness without leaching fumes. I've been trying to find that source, but have been unlucky in finding it again. :mad:

Rhoobarb said:
That's because you close the lid on your washing machine (hopefully:p), thus making it a 'closed system'. Hot water and bleach will leach off toxic fumes! I read just a week or so ago that warm water (80oF-100oF) is ideal - it supposedly optimizes the bleaches effectiveness without leaching fumes. I've been trying to find that source, but have been unlucky in finding it again. :mad:

Sounds like we've got a winner here!

I agree with ScottT. to remove beer stone and funky smells in glass and plastic I always let my carboys and buckets soak with oxy clean. the come out spotless and smellin' fresh just make sure that you rinse. after the oxy, I then sanitize with Iodophor solution and rinse VERY well. I have been using the same buckets for years with only one bad batch, that was because the airlock dried up.

Back