A higher temperature mash produces... what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ckarsanac

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have read Palmer, and my understanding is that the optimal mash temp (for most grain bills) is around 152-154 F. That is because this is the optimal temperature for the enzymes to make sugar from starch. Right? A lower temperature makes the conversion take longer/not happen at all. A higher temperature will start to denature the enzymes so that it does not work as well/not work at all.

SO, will a higher temp just give starches in the wort that won't ferment as well?

Cheers!

146-149F : a highly fermentable, lighter bodied beer. Will normally finish around 1.006-1.012

150-153F: a medium bodied beer that should finish somewhere around 1.014-1.018.

154-156F: a full bodied beer with some residual sweetness from the unfermentable sugars. Will normally finish around 1.020-1.026.

Granted, these are all from my own experience with various styles. Your OG will also greatly affect where your FG will end up.

The Germans have a mashing schedule called Hochkurz, the final step called the dextrinization rest at 158-172F is held until the mash is iodine negative. Many authors contribute head retention and mouthfeel benefits to extending this rest. Finally the mash may be raised to mash out temp and subsequently lautered.

BobC said:
The Germans have a mashing schedule called Hochkurz, the final step called the dextrinization rest at 158-172F is held until the mash is iodine negative. Many authors contribute head retention and mouthfeel benefits to extending this rest. Finally the mash may be raised to mash out temp and subsequently lautered.

Just out of curiousity where did you get this info?

Back