A funny thing happened at the LHB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i would say two weeks is completely feasible for a lower gravity beer. 10 days in primary, crash for 24 hours, keg, force carb, drink (or bottle with beergun).

As a scientist, until someone shows me GCMS data of the same exact wort + yeast combination, one moved off the yeast immediately and the other left on for 3 weeks showing significant, taste threshold differences, I'll keep my "secondaries" empty.

Aka just use them as primaries with Fermcap :D

I don't see the need to 2ndary if you wait several weeks. I just like the opportunity to have cleaner beer. Its another opportunity to settle out, making the 3rd vessel (keg) getting clean beer.

As a scientist, until someone shows me GCMS data of the same exact wort + yeast combination, one moved off the yeast immediately and the other left on for 3 weeks showing significant, taste threshold differences, I'll keep my "secondaries" empty.

Aka just use them as primaries with Fermcap :D

Does Fermcap really work that well? I've heard a lot about it, but I think I'd be skeptical about putting 5 gallons into a 5 gallon carboy.

Have you done this with success?

One thing I will say going back to the OP. Not all LHBS owners are necessarily great brewers. Some of them are just as much into brewing a quick cheap buzz as they are to selling it to someone else. Some just want to make money.

Just because you carry the supplies and equipment doesn't mean you are an expert at using it.

And lastly, just like people here get stuck in their ways, it happens out there too.

A thirsty man always enjoys drinking beer better than watching it "condition". The only bottle condition that is mandatory at my pub/diningroom is the condition that if you open it you drink it all.
Cheers, Tim

The thing is, he said he would be drinking beer in 3 weeks. He didn't say he would be drinking good beer or properly made beer. I totally agree though, they should be spreading the correct information...they might not know. :confused:

Does Fermcap really work that well? I've heard a lot about it, but I think I'd be skeptical about putting 5 gallons into a 5 gallon carboy.

Have you done this with success?

Yes I have. But my "5" gallon carboys are more around 5.5 gallons, so I fill them right up below the neck and add Fermcap. I will usually plan to do this will yeast/worts that I have had repeated experience with low krausens as well (aka WY1968 into lower gravity beers).

The only time when Fermcap didn't help this brotha' out was when I did some top-cropping fermentations. Yeast was way too aggressive and a blow-off tube was more suited.

I've been drinking a lot of beers early because I have no patience. Anyways, I have had many batches fine after 1 week in primary, and 1 week in the bottle.

They have pinier hops tastes, but it's not like I'm going to drink all 54 the first week.

Go ahead, flame away.

I guess I don't see that advice as all bad. Yes-- that first batch will be green if they don't do some additional research first. But if it gets them started asking questions and learning how to make it better, then that's a good thing.

I see it as lowering barriers to entry--- once people get started with the] basics they can start working on the details. But if they don't ever get started because the whole long, detailed process too daunting than it is a waste.

It wasn't my intention, and not that it really has turned out like this, to seem at all snobby that you have to let your brew condition. I just hope people who brew that first batch get better advice the second time they go into the shop or at least eventually find there way to a great brew forum where they can learn more about brew in a few hours of perusing than the last 10 trips to the LHB. Also, I really don't want to bash all LHB's, some are friggin' awesome and the guys really brew great beer and give good advice, others not so much...

If anyone cares I ferment for 1 week and bottle for one week. Never had a problem with it.

I don't see why you would unless your fermentation wasn't completely done. If it wasn't you could have overcarbed bottles. However, if it's done, you wouldn't have a problem. The thing is with beer is that the longer you let it sit (in my experience) the more the flavors mellow together which make a smoother brew.

Yeast attenuates after 4 days. The purpose of fermentation is to allow the yeast to get the most out of itself. As far as I am concerned if yeast is done working after 4 days I am ready to bottle. I usually allow it to sit for a few more days because I am a major schedule freak. So I brew and bottle in the same day, Sunday. That keeps me on a schedule. What a freak I know. Every 7 days I drink a batch (with the help of my freeloading drinking buddies), bottle a batch and brew a batch.

I wouldnt call it speed brewing. In my experience, I have tasted MY beers at different increments and found that one week was significant for my own taste. So far I haven't had any ill results with fermentation or bottling. I did royally screw up a boil once but that was my first. My cherry boil got popped and I bled all over the place. Anyways. Ive let some sit for several weeks before bottling, bottle for several weeks and never really tasted the "greeness". So I brew on sunday so I can watch my beloved Saints kick some tale as I enjoy a previous brew and make more. We have a love love relationship, me, football and beer. Personally I have no complaints. BUT I do make fairly low grav beers as per my own taste. For those of you who enjoy stouts, porters and browns I would not recommend such a short conditioning time. You konw waht I maen?

My LHBS guy had a printout of better-than-in-the-kit instructions for brewing. He recommended letting the bottles condition for 5 weeks, but also mentioned when they should be carbed and drinkable.

Every time that I have gone back since he asks how the brewing is going. When I mentioned that I was concerned about the head on my beers he asked how long they had been conditioned. I don't think he ever believed that I had left them for the full five weeks. But why wouldn't I have? I want to make good beer, and there was no prohibition or strike at the brewery here while I was making the first batch.

Fact is that lots of first-time brewers are panicked about getting everything right that lots of people will stumble across sites and places like this. When they worry that they ruined their first batch and it tastes awful somebody here will politely point out that it takes time for beer to age well...

I know the three batches that I put on today (kits are quick and dirty :p) will probably end up pushed through the process a little faster. I ran into a pipeline issue when my darling hubby decided that he was going to start drinking the home brew. He is quickly making his way through the IPAs that I had made for myself (and then found too bitter for my current tastes). Have to try and get ahead of the game and can't be without beer at Christmas! So yeah, could be a green (beer) Christmas out our way.

Lady_Brewer
When I mentioned that I was concerned about the head on my beers he asked how long they had been conditioned. I don't think he ever believed that I had left them for the full five weeks. But why wouldn't I have?

What kind and how much sugar are you using to prime your batch(es)? Do you use 'Jet Dry' or something of that nature in your dishwasher (Glasses become ultra slick and reduce the head size) Is the beer carbonated fine but just the head is too small?

Lady_Brewer

What kind and how much sugar are you using to prime your batch(es)? Do you use 'Jet Dry' or something of that nature in your dishwasher (Glasses become ultra slick and reduce the head size) Is the beer carbonated fine but just the head is too small?

I actually had a whole thread on this :D - from that and poking around it seems that it is a combination of things. Partly my glassware was to blame, no jetdry, but possibly some soapy residue. I may have issues with the "fermentables" I am adding - I have been using corn sugar for everything so far. I have tried brewers syrup for my latest batch. I also seem to have one batch that holds head better than the others. Since I took meticulous notes (not) I am pretty sure this had slightly more priming sugar than the other batches (1 1/3c for 23 litres rather than 1 1/4c for 23 litres.)

I also bought some "priming powder" which is just priming sugar and heading powder (I think) marketed to people like me. And I have a little packet of head enhancer... I may yet switch to fermenting with malt instead of sugars.

Or... I may ignre it all together. I don't think it is going to be very long before I start moving away from kits and towards the more hands on brewing. The reason I have even stuck with the kits this long is because they are fairly quick to put together, and I have little knowledge of beers outside of BMC, as we don't have any micros here. So I am learning what I (and hubby) like and don't like, before I spend 3 hours preparing a wort.

Has anyone else had the experience that their local HB guys either tell them or you over hear them tell someone else, 'Yeah, this beer will be done in two weeks - <snip>

I suppose they do this to sell kits but I believe that ultimately telling people the truth about proper brewing techniques will actually sell more beer.

:rockin:

It may not be a safe assumption that guy who runs LHBS = brewing guru.

Just sayin'.

Back