A friendly place for friends who drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kale.
I'm vegan.

kalealamy_2520117b.jpg

tumblr_inline_n981e70bNq1s1yvcl.gif

QOTD: Boring potato too. Either baked or mashed, both are glorious to me. There's something so simple and great about a steak and potato. I always go for blue cheese dressing if there's salad with the steak.

I could have written this myself. Nothing finer than a steak or chop with a spud and salad. I'm a simple man.

QOTD: Lobster tail (or other surf & turf option) count? If not, then creamed spinach.

Wife doesn't like the creamed spinach, so I rarely make it at home. Might just make it tonight as steak is on the menu tonight.

QOTD - If I am making it myself, more steak and or grilled sweet onions. Otherwise taters or some other starch to help break up the mass of meat and fat in your gullet

Kale.
I'm vegan.

Kale. Kale is no better for you than any other dark leafy green. It just has a better marketing department.

QOTD - If I am making it myself, more steak and or grilled sweet onions. Otherwise taters or some other starch to help break up the mass of meat and fat in your gullet

Kale. Kale is no better for you than any other dark leafy green. It just has a better marketing department.

The marketing dept is high in polyunsaturated fats and a rich source of bovine emissions.

I need inspiration dammit inspiration. This is good but it's not inspiration. Mike I think I asked you before what are some of the good local beer I can find in liquor stores. Apparently crooked stave is really good. The liquor store by me is filled with $7 bottles that are 12 ounce.

View attachment 1461799993066.jpg

Belgian wit, getting clearer and perhaps better perhaps worse I'm never sure. The life of The Keg just kinda does that doesn't it. I would guess it's better fresher. I don't know

@iijakii
That golden sour was very, very good. So much more sour than I wouldve expected for a homebrew. People seem to have troubles getting the sour character to pop and this thing was coat-the-underside-of-your-tongue sour. SWMBO loved it, raved about how it makes your lower jaw clench weirdly and release saliva. Yeah, she's a bit weird into sours. Had no idea what they were until we met though.

Really nice job on that one. Im curious as to what yeast/bugs were in it. Damn...shouldve cultured me up some stuff like '77. His super saison culture should prove very interesting

Which reminds me, I need to send a few more packages out soon

@Pianoman & @Gavin... -.-. .. . -. -.-. .C
Im glad you guys liked the stuff so far. Im keeping a log of addresses for future home invasions, err I mean, friendly exchanges. Gotta make more room somehow.

QOTD: What's your favorite steakhouse side dish?

Went out to a team celebration dinner at a local steakhouse in Columbus. The steak was decent, but inconsistent between diners (I got a good one, but the guy next to me barely had any sear at all).

The client ate all the creamed spinach before it got down to me, but I had some nice roasted brussel sprouts with plenty of bacon.

Horseradish mash potatoes.

Home at last..more OT this week. Bought brew stuff for 3.5gal IPA and another raspberry hard Lemonaid with Saison yeast. Will use more dme for a "beer" type flavor. Deciding on whether to hop this one...maybe mosaic?

1st up..

View attachment 1461803369870.jpg

My bachelor degree is in music guitar playing and I'm not sure if I ever had a teacher who is not like dude look at those hands play bass. Probably would have been rich if i listen to them. You like andrew mcmahon and the wilderness?
Clown shoes looks awesome

Watch "Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness - High Dive (Shabby Road Sessions)" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/CqtNyiMO8cc

Hey @m00ps

Neil says thanks. He loves the Jolly Rancher thing you didn't see fit to send another guy with apoarently half the palate.

@iijakii
That golden sour was very, very good. So much more sour than I wouldve expected for a homebrew. People seem to have troubles getting the sour character to pop and this thing was coat-the-underside-of-your-tongue sour. SWMBO loved it, raved about how it makes your lower jaw clench weirdly and release saliva. Yeah, she's a bit weird into sours. Had no idea what they were until we met though.

Really nice job on that one. Im curious as to what yeast/bugs were in it. Damn...shouldve cultured me up some stuff like '77. His super saison culture should prove very interesting

Awesome, glad you liked it! I actually had the last bottle (well, yours was the last) recently and I had forgotten how damn sour it was. Gave me heartburn lol. It was just a kettle sour, no magic strain. I've been meaning to harvest some from Cascade bottles though -- I have read their house lacto strain is incredibly potent and fast-acting.

53 pils
35 wheat
12 flaked wheat

1.060 range

A week before brewing I filled two separate growlers with organic apple juice and threw a handful of grain in both. Held at 95ish. One came out distinctly more sour, used that one and tossed the other.

I think I mashed around 152 but I cant really remember. Brought it up to 190 or so for a few mins to psuedopasteurize, then drained to a carboy and pitched the apple juice. I think it took 5 full days to get the sourness I wanted. Boiled afterwards with 10 ibu from a random noble hop I had. Fermented with Brett Brux but it stalled out at 1.035 or so and I had to pitch another Brett strain but I forget what I did.

QOTD: What's your favorite steakhouse side dish?

Went out to a team celebration dinner at a local steakhouse in Columbus. The steak was decent, but inconsistent between diners (I got a good one, but the guy next to me barely had any sear at all).

The client ate all the creamed spinach before it got down to me, but I had some nice roasted brussel sprouts with plenty of bacon.

Mac and cheese, usually. Or some sort of potatoes.

Hey @m00ps

Neil says thanks. He loves the Jolly Rancher thing you didn't see fit to send another guy with apoarently half the palate.

Aww is someone feeling left out all of a sudden? I got a box for ya in my car. I just realized I didnt put one of those in there though. Ill see if I can swap something out

Back