A friendly place for friends who drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Endless meeting will not end. I needs a bio break.

just-go-man-o.gif

Water while I contemplate lunch. Oh and when I went down to get water, I realized I never posted the pics of the flooring yesterday since the thread was locked. For you @thecadjockey

I will never do this again. Ever.

I hated laying flooring the first time. Then I did it again, twice. Then tile...I'll never do it again. I will, however, rip the carpet from my stairs and put in oak treads and paint the risers. It's probably stupid to spend $500+ on doing that, but I want it done.

You did a great job, much better than I ever did. The space looks fantastic.

Drinking water. Having a "day" and I want to brew. Will be back to old school brewing this time around though.

Water while I contemplate lunch. Oh and when I went down to get water, I realized I never posted the pics of the flooring yesterday since the thread was locked. For you @thecadjockey

Bottling/wine storage room

View attachment 349166

Space outside aforementioned bottling/wine storage room

View attachment 349167

Hall to beer cellar/unfinished basement (it really is in that order anymore)

View attachment 349168

View from the patio looking over the largest part of the space.

View attachment 349169

I will never do this again. Ever.

Looks great. Tongue and Groove? Engineered? Laminate? Just asking for a friend of mine who may or may not have a stack of flooring in his garage right now and is trying to find people he can bug with questions.

Looks great. Tongue and Groove? Engineered? Laminate? Just asking for a friend of mine who may or may not have a stack of flooring in his garage right now and is trying to find people he can bug with questions.

Yeah, Mohawk laminate. Has a tongue & groove and I used a beater board to tap them in tight and pound them out flat.

I love laying floors.
Sowut wanda fidaboudit?

Nah. Back when I was your age I loved it too. And would have finished this in a day.

More water while killing time before next conference call...

I've done laminate flooring a couple of times, most recently the bamboo laminate in our spare bedroom/study. Most of it wasn't bad until we reached the front wall and had to do rip cuts to fill in the places where the walls weren't totally squared. That part was a [whatever bad word we're allowed to say now]. I think I got it dressed up to the point that it isn't noticeable to a 3rd party, but I know it's there and it still brings out my OCD side.

Never mind, PKU I guess. Looks fantastic. I will be doing hardwood T&G for the first time soon. I predict that my two year old will learn a new curse word.

My advice would be to do some upper body conditioning ahead of time, and then practice with the nail gun until you're sure you can fire it properly every time. Nothing worse than stopping to pull out the nails/staples when it misfires. Oh, and don't use a small portable air compressor or that will slow you down.

I've done laminate flooring a couple of times, most recently the bamboo laminate in our spare bedroom/study. Most of it wasn't bad until we reached the front wall and had to do rip cuts to fill in the places where the walls weren't totally squared. That part was a [whatever bad word we're allowed to say now]. I think I got it dressed up to the point that it isn't noticeable to a 3rd party, but I know it's there and it still brings out my OCD side.

Wall runs are easy man.. can just put the board down and run another piece along the wall to trace the thickness you need. No measuring necessary and fits tight. Shoot a few finishing nails in the top. Donezo.

My advice would be to do some upper body conditioning ahead of time, and then practice with the nail gun until you're sure you can fire it properly every time.

My 'mentor' was unbeelievably (;)) patient with me. The first week I started, was spent with my swinging an 8 pound mallet with a noodle arm at the nail gun. Often missing and smashing my shins or hitting it on the side and deflecting a nail partly into the tongue. He didn't get mad at me once. After a month or so I had one Popeye arm and could finish an entire 1st floor in a day by myself.

Glue downs on the other hand... motherfunking no thank you. Still have scars from that.

I'm with ya josh.. can't wait for it to warm up so I can replace all the windows on my garage. Get it insulated. Drywall. Build a bar. etc..

My advice would be to do some upper body conditioning ahead of time, and then practice with the nail gun until you're sure you can fire it properly every time. Nothing worse than stopping to pull out the nails/staples when it misfires. Oh, and don't use a small portable air compressor or that will slow you down.

How big do I need? I've got a little 4 or 5 gallon that I use for pumping tires, finish nailing, etc. My dad has a bigger one. 30 gallons maybe? I'm guessing just borrow that?

Because it's boring and each game lasts forever there are a million games per season.

Just guessing though.

Each game lasts forever you say? Let me introduce you to cricket. A proper match lasts 5 days. And you have 5 matches in a tour series. There may be multiple test series in a year.

Oh yeah. For those of you who were dying to know when it was gonna happen, and didn't temporarily migrate over to the other thread, I finally passed the conditioning test last night.

And then I celebrated with some homebrew, so you guys also missed out on pics of that.

Also our first game is in 9 days. Getting pretty excited for that.

Was thinking of doing a giveaway a la psylo style if we make it to the championship again this season. But I gotta do some research into if it's possible and how much it would actually cost.

If not, and if the thread is still around at that point, then maybe I'll do a "josh will be stateside for Christmas" Christmas giveaway.

How big do I need? I've got a little 4 or 5 gallon that I use for pumping tires, finish nailing, etc. My dad has a bigger one. 30 gallons maybe? I'm guessing just borrow that?

We used a 5 gallon one for small projects. It kind of depends on the wood. If it is a really hard wood, you'll be lucky to get full penetration with one nail. Pulling nails and wasting boards is the worst possible situation.

One of the few I can check off finally. All of our patio furniture will get painted at some point.

Looks pretty cool with the corrugated steel. I don't know what to do, still shopping ideas before I draw it up. Debating making one I can move around or not.

We used a 5 gallon one for small projects. It kind of depends on the wood. If it is a really hard wood, you'll be lucky to get full penetration with one nail. Pulling nails and wasting boards is the worst possible situation.

Thanks. I think I will try to get the bigger one to start. Our floors are red oak. Gonna replace some ugly nasty shag carpet in my son's room. The rest of the upstairs all matches except for that.

I'd definitely borrow your dad's. You'll have enough bad boards in each box (missing some groove, missing tongue, split, marred finish, etc.) that you don't want to make it worse by having to yank boards out from mis-fires on the gun. And the worst is if you start to get in a rhythm - nailing boards down and someone going ahead to cut the end pieces - then have to stop because you had a misfire and need to pull that nail/staple or the board itself.

More water. Home-brew club competition tonight. My wee heavy tasted a bit green when I bottled some up on Monday so I'm not super hopeful for my chances (the competition is restricted to the Scottish styles)

I'm just plugging away at work after having had a couple lunch beers... oh, and watching the Blue Jays vs Rays game at the same time.

Latest posts

Back