A friendly place for friends who drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And the worst is if you start to get in a rhythm - nailing boards down and someone going ahead to cut the end pieces - then have to stop because you had a misfire and need to pull that nail/staple or the board itself.

Exactly this. Start on the longest run of the room, rack out as much as you can and have someone cutting the end pieces.. done in no time. If you need any tips, let me know. Don't need to measure anything after the first row.

Looks pretty cool with the corrugated steel. I don't know what to do, still shopping ideas before I draw it up. Debating making one I can move around or not.

Thanks man. It's just aluminum that I bought at Lowes. Pretty light weight but tough to cut with shears. Went to the circular saw and damn that was loud.

The scented candles and gavinsmas ornaments are a nice touch.

Lol

Exactly this. Start on the longest run of the room, rack out as much as you can and have someone cutting the end pieces.. done in no time. If you need any tips, let me know. Don't need to measure anything after the first row.

Thanks guys. I'll keep firing. The current flooring is laid parallel to the joists. I'm not ripping it all up because it looks nice and it's in great shape. But it does squeak on spots and everything I've ever read says go perpendicular to the joists. I'm thinking of doing that for this room and just butting up to the current floor in the doorway. Any thoughts or advice?

Did you put red rosin paper, something else, or nothing in between the subfloor and oak?

Better to pull baseboards off and reinstall or do new, I assume?

Any thoughts or advice?

Did you put red rosin paper, something else, or nothing in between the subfloor and oak?

If you're butting up to existing flooring, I'd put in a nice threshold piece. Especially if it is in a door or archway. We used roofing paper under all of our installs, even in the million dollar homes. It's heavy duty, insulates nicely and would lay flat during installation holding up to scuffs and rips. Don't skimp on cleaning the subfloor. Get every nail, tack and staple out of it. Shop vac it.

If you're taking the time and paying for quality materials, take the time to take all the baseboards off. Sketch your room and number each baseboard as you take it off, marking it on the sketch so you know how to put it all back down if you are reusing it. If you are buying new, do a few test joints on a piece of scrap to make sure you can figure out how to put them together before wasting the new molding. If you use base and shoe molding, it will give you a little extra slack if you are not good when it comes to end pieces and walls and the shoe makes it look completely finished.

I like wood.

CY4HJ.jpg

Thanks man. It's just aluminum that I bought at Lowes. Pretty light weight but tough to cut with shears. Went to the circular saw and damn that was loud.

Lol

We built a 3340 sq ft metal building and used a circular saw with a backwards wood blade to make all the cuts. I thought I would never hear again

The most important thing to remember when working with metal like that, is to shake it really hard and make thunder noises with it for at least a good 5 minutes to make sure it works.

This is why no one asks me to build barns with them anymore. Makes me think I'm a bad Amish.

The most important thing to remember when working with metal like that, is to shake it really hard and make thunder noises with it for at least a good 5 minutes to make sure it works.

Back in high school we used to go out back behind the natatorium on cloudy days and shake a big piece of corrugated steel we kept stashed behind the building. It got us out of a number of swim practices before the coach caught on/someone narc'ed.

Back in high school we used to go out back behind the natatorium on cloudy days and shake a big piece of corrugated steel we kept stashed behind the building. It got us out of a number of swim practices before the coach caught on/someone narc'ed.

Similarly, when our French class teacher would turn her back to the class.. we'd take her car keys out of her purse and click her car alarm out the window. Always scored us a good few minutes of no French while we waited for her to come back.

Thanks guys. I'll keep firing. The current flooring is laid parallel to the joists. I'm not ripping it all up because it looks nice and it's in great shape. But it does squeak on spots and everything I've ever read says go perpendicular to the joists. I'm thinking of doing that for this room and just butting up to the current floor in the doorway. Any thoughts or advice?

Everything CAD said. On baseboards, I'm assuming since this is a remodel that the house is older at least? A few coats of paint on the baseboards? I'd bite the bullet and put down new. I'd also pick up a scrap of what you want before you do the flooring to use as a gauge for how close to place the boards to the wall so it will cover. I think it's a lot cleaner just having baseboards without shoe molding (but maybe that's just me.) Rehanging old baseboard may save some money, but in the end it will be far more annoying filling dings, scratches and cracks - and it still would leave my OCD skin crawling if I had to look at it.

Yeah, I knew that was coming. Pretty soon I'll have a choice between there, the Beer Store in Malvern and the Foodery right here in Phoenixville when I feel like getting raped while buying beer.

More water and my final conference call today...

Rehanging old baseboard may save some money, but in the end it will be far more annoying filling dings, scratches and cracks...

One of the worst things about the job was when the customer couldn't afford to get new molding on top of the flooring they just had us install. I always felt so bad putting the old stuff up, it just never looked good. Go new, if it is an option.

The coolest trick imo, is when you get to the end of a row.. take the piece you're going to finish the row with and flip it over (the long way) and just mark the gap. It's a perfect measurement every time and takes half a second.

Everything CAD said. On baseboards, I'm assuming since this is a remodel that the house is older at least? A few coats of paint on the baseboards? I'd bite the bullet and put down new. I'd also pick up a scrap of what you want before you do the flooring to use as a gauge for how close to place the boards to the wall so it will cover. I think it's a lot cleaner just having baseboards without shoe molding (but maybe that's just me.) Rehanging old baseboard may save some money, but in the end it will be far more annoying filling dings, scratches and cracks - and it still would leave my OCD skin crawling if I had to look at it.

Yeah, I knew that was coming. Pretty soon I'll have a choice between there, the Beer Store in Malvern and the Foodery right here in Phoenixville when I feel like getting raped while buying beer.

More water and my final conference call today...

I'll go just for the burger with Chimay cheese.

I'll go just for the burger with Chimay cheese.

Their entree's are worth a MEH and a half to be honest. I always regret getting them instead of just ordering apps and beer. Their street taco and flatbread appetizers are much better and really more than enough if you're going to rifle through a few decent beers.

Their entree's are worth a MEH and a half to be honest. I always regret getting them instead of just ordering apps and beer. Their street taco and flatbread appetizers are much better and really more than enough if you're going to rifle through a few decent beers.

You don't like bacon.

Your argument is invalid.

Hey. Just a fair warning. Tried their entrees twice. Regretted it both times. The apps were executed on another level.

We have a WOB in an awesome neighborhood and I've never been there. I should pop in next time I'm down there. Maybe I'll take @iijakii there after I get home and let him out of the box. I'd make a gimp joke but I think that's a bit risque for our current situation.

Ugh, lady microwaved some rotten fish for lunch. Gag, but it's getting way to hot outside to go sit in my truck. I like fish but this is foul.

One of the worst things about the job was when the customer couldn't afford to get new molding on top of the flooring they just had us install. I always felt so bad putting the old stuff up, it just never looked good. Go new, if it is an option.

The coolest trick imo, is when you get to the end of a row.. take the piece you're going to finish the row with and flip it over (the long way) and just mark the gap. It's a perfect measurement every time and takes half a second.

New baseboards, no shoe it is. That will match the rest anyway. Thanks fellas.

Back