A friendly place for friends who drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meh, you can commiserate with jak. But I am curious why your went through all that trouble with that kviek strain. Those things are/seem farmhousy as crap

Curiosity. Love of experimentation. Actually that strain would've been pretty good if it would've just flocced out. Much more farmhouse, funky, citrusy type of esters, less bubble gum/banana/clove flavors. It worked really well with the hoppy wheat one, could've been nice with the centennial blonde (again if it wouldn't have been such a murky mess), and I think it could've been nice with the christmas brown, but that one also needs work on the grain bill (and again, murky as hell). I still have one brown left. I'll probably crack it open in a month or two. Hopefully I remember to get a pic of the murkiness for you. As stated by the sciencebro, and others on that one thread, I just lose my beer appetite when something is so freaking cloudy. I only take a few drinks of gravity samples because of that.

Well I'm exicted-ish. I've got a time scheduled to go to http://sambat.com/ to use their batting cage and have a custom baseball bat made. Now just to decide on colours/style. I'm thinking something like this, because it's goddamn beautiful and it will spend 99% of its time on my wall at home:

Although it's also tempting to go a bit more crazy:

why not go full crazy then?
BtRiyh3CMAAEIxc.png

QOTD - no real go-to since I'll use something appropriate to the style I'm brewing. I guess since overall I do more hoppy beers than anything else, 05 would be it. Yeah, that's my answer.

Second cup of coffee and I'm not feeling it today. Need to put in a couple more boards to finish the floor over lunch (then I'll post some pics for you CAD)

Let's see, my other standby yeasts. I like 1214 Abbey Ale or 3522 Ardennes for most Belgians (used 3787 Trappist for a while but bored of it), I use 3724 Belgian Saison for Saisons. 3068 Weihenstephan for Weissbiers. I used 1332 Northwest Ale for American styles for a while, but switched back to Chico. Both 1007 German Ale and 2565 Kolsch have their place as well but don't get much use.

Curiosity. Love of experimentation. Actually that strain would've been pretty good if it would've just flocced out. Much more farmhouse, funky, citrusy type of esters, less bubble gum/banana/clove flavors. It worked really well with the hoppy wheat one, could've been nice with the centennial blonde (again if it wouldn't have been such a murky mess), and I think it could've been nice with the christmas brown, but that one also needs work on the grain bill (and again, murky as hell). I still have one brown left. I'll probably crack it open in a month or two. Hopefully I remember to get a pic of the murkiness for you. As stated by the sciencebro, and others on that one thread, I just lose my beer appetite when something is so freaking cloudy. I only take a few drinks of gravity samples because of that.

Interesting. The norwegian kviek strain I ended up getting floccs like crazy. The first time I used it I barely was able to harvest some. Decanted too much and had to spray starsan in it to be able to knock it loose from the bottom of my starter

QOTD: Probably US-05 -- maybe not the most exciting but clean, fits well with most of the styles I like to brew, and fairly forgiving of temperature and pitch rate.

QOTD: Probably US-05 -- maybe not the most exciting but clean, fits well with most of the styles I like to brew, and fairly forgiving of temperature and pitch rate.

Chico is winning this one by a huge margin. If yeast is supposed to be exciting I'd say Brett. But I haven't brewed with Brett yet.

why not go full crazy then?
BtRiyh3CMAAEIxc.png

QOTD - no real go-to since I'll use something appropriate to the style I'm brewing. I guess since overall I do more hoppy beers than anything else, 05 would be it. Yeah, that's my answer.

Second cup of coffee and I'm not feeling it today. Need to put in a couple more boards to finish the floor over lunch (then I'll post some pics for you CAD)

I prefer the Fallout 4 World Series Bat replica route:

2076_world_series_baseball_bat__fallout_4__by_frijoleluna-d9p6zl2.jpg

or

fallout_4_inspired_double_bladed_baseball_bat_by_ironstaff-d8xtudx.jpg

Your beer's cool now? Then I'm like, king of the cool kids. I probably still have a 12 pack.

I havent seen your total haul, but in my eyes youre pretty much king of everything for a while. Could probably build an iron throne out of it

I havent seen your total haul, but in my eyes youre pretty much king of everything for a while. Could probably build an iron throne out of it

If I had room to store the empties, I would have. I have about 15 bombers I don't plan on drinking alone. I probably will, but right now I don't plan on it.

Haha...while I was doing light outdoor chores, my father in law took off, leaving me alone at the house. He left a little note apologizing for stranding me without a car. Sure hope survive being stranded here with a fully stocked beer fridge and enough cigars to make Castro jealous.

View attachment 1459868608917.jpg

Trying to PKU to see if I ever got the go-ahead from Duff but my QOTD:
What is your favorite yeast strain(s) and why?

1318 because it's what I use to make DEM for now. DEM rules all.

In all honesty I'll jump on the chico blend as well I guess. I like most of my ales to be pretty muted on yeast character.

They FedEx in Norway?

Totally!
Well, maybe.
No...actually...no...just the opposite
Pretty much the person with the quickest google will probably win. Only three people total knew a round about version of the answer directly.

Thats why I didnt enter. I am into Star Wars a good deal, but I felt like it wouldve been disrespectful to try to edge out big time fans just by googling around

Haha...while I was doing light outdoor chores, my father in law took off, leaving me alone at the house. He left a little note apologizing for stranding me without a car. Sure hope survive being stranded here with a fully stocked beer fridge and enough cigars to make Castro jealous.

Sounds rough! Hope you survive!

Thats why I didnt enter. I am into Star Wars a good deal, but I felt like it wouldve been disrespectful to try to edge out big time fans just by googling around

That's why I openly admitted using google.

Not like you buttsniffers mail anything to canada anyways.

He's not in the crate! That's a win. For him. We'll find out later how you and your stuff will fare.

how the **** didn't I think of that?!?!?!!

I'm going to flog myself later as punishment.

It's not punishment if you enjoy it.

I havent seen your total haul, but in my eyes youre pretty much king of everything for a while. Could probably build an broken bottle throne out of it

FTFY

I wish I was drinking beer poolside. SERENITY NOW!

Have you tried it in a pale ale or IPA or anything like that yet?
No; only lagers and hybrids.

With the complexity derived from ale yeasts, more hops in an IPA and greater use of crystal malts in general, I can't see any subtleties from a decoction coming through.

QOTD Yeast.

Don't have one. I like to use different yeast for different styles. Variety is the spice of life. Got a few in the fridge.

WY1469 for English styles
WY1272 for my last two IPA
WLP029 for Kolsch
WLP036 for Alt
WY3038 for Hefe
S-O5 (I pack I take a bit from for 1 G cider batches)

Back