A friendly place for friends who drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gavin_C - I'm gonna make your Munich Dunkel......with rounded amounts of Munich (8*L since that's all I could get) and Pilsner. Oh, and without a step mash. No decoction either. And much higher AA% Hallertau. And, German Ale yeast since I don't lager.

So, when it sucks, I'm going to leave your recipe bad reviews. ;)

:mug:

Gavin_C - I'm gonna make your Munich Dunkel......with rounded amounts of Munich (8*L since that's all I could get) and Pilsner. Oh, and without a step mash. No decoction either. And much higher AA% Hallertau. And, German Ale yeast since I don't lager.

His recipes are lacking on detail anyway... I'd say he deserves all the bad reviews that are coming.

Kegged your Pils last night, Ser. Going to gelatine it tonight. Not sure what I thought of the sample, as warm uncarbonated pils is not quite appealing.

Very true.

Did you do a lazy mash profile (I think I know the answer). Although given your eBIAb setup can't imagine why you wouldn't have stepped it.

You make any changes to the hop bill? (more hops better etc.)

Any unintentional imperializing happening?

Hope it turns out great for you. I'm brewing it again soon with German Pils malt this time. (Belgian last although I'm not sure if it makes a difference)

LOL AZ. I'm sure you have a much better Dunkel in your wheelhouse anyway given your latest bushel of winnings. (Congrats BTW). Nonetheless I look forward with some trepidation to reading the recipe ass-tearing review. Nice.:)

His recipes are lacking on detail anyway... I'd say he deserves all the bad reviews that are coming.

Lucky for you all the nice mannerly Canadian-ness is rubbing off on me. Otherwise I'd really be forced to gently give you a piece of my mind, quietly in the corner so no one else would hear and be resultingly perturbed.

Flip, flipping flip you........ nice glasses!

Dinner in the oven, lounging on the couch for a bit. Staying up til 2am and getting less than 5 hours of sleep = me being dead tired right now.

Very true.

Did you do a lazy mash profile (I think I know the answer). Although given your eBIAb setup can't imagine why you wouldn't have stepped it.

You make any changes to the hop bill? (more hops better etc.)

Any unintentional imperializing happening?

Hope it turns out great for you. I'm brewing it again soon with German Pils malt this time. (Belgian last although I'm not sure if it makes a difference)

I did your weird 140/150 step. yeah ebiab and stirred. We already talked about this, I assume you were too refreshed to remember at the time. Yet you can rainman my piggybank. Hop bill was changed because you had a couple different hops in it and I had (i think) saaz or perle in bulk, cant remember which right now. Different yeast too. Oh, and I used German pils.

I did your weird 140/150 step. yeah ebiab and stirred. We already talked about this, I assume you were too refreshed to remember at the time. Yet you can rainman my piggybank. Hop bill was changed because you had a couple different hops in it and I had (i think) saaz or perle in bulk, cant remember which right now. Different yeast too. Oh, and I used German pils.

So you used a different mash profile, hop profile, yeast etc. I reckon you brewed iijakiiPils.

I remember vaguely talking about it. Probably refreshed yep. I thought you were speaking hypothetically and I made a remark about step mashing porridge if I had an eBIAb setup. (4 steps in the mash FTR, ridiculous nonsense profile)

Nonesene
attachment.php

Mr. Gavin the science man, just so I don't have to go searching through everything (inlcuding beersmith and all your recipe profiles), does BS tell you what temp to get each decoction to and what amount of the mash to boil up for each temp change? After my trip, I really want to try a decoction on my next pils.

Mr. Gavin the science man, just so I don't have to go searching through everything (inlcuding beersmith and all your recipe profiles), does BS tell you what temp to get each decoction to and what amount of the mash to boil up for each temp change? After my trip, I really want to try a decoction on my next pils.

It does it badly. Decoctions are added back to the mash at boiling. How long they are boiled depends on what you want.

But BeerSmith will dramatically underestimate what you need. When I do a decoction I grab double what it told me to, add back slowly while stirring, and in the event I hit temp without adding it all back, then I add it back slowly as it cools back down. But that's seldom a problem.

It does it badly. Decoctions are added back to the mash at boiling. How long they are boiled depends on what you want.

But BeerSmith will dramatically underestimate what you need. When I do a decoction I grab double what it told me to, add back slowly while stirring, and in the event I hit temp without adding it all back, then I add it back slowly as it cools back down. But that's seldom a problem.

Nice thanks Gavin! ;)

So the portion you grab out, you will always bring to a boil? Guess that makes more sense. I should probably just go read a book about it or something. But it's so much easier to ask questions on here. How do you handle water chemistry with a decoction? I know gavin usually does full-volume. I'm a BIAB batch sparger myself. So I normally try to aim for about 1.65 qts/lb, and then adjust to get my sparge within 4 liters of my water available from mash (advice from the batch sparge thread). Now I'm treating both my mash and my sparge water with my mineral additions. Unless I'm mashing pretty high, I don't really need to acidify my sparge water, but I do add a bit of acid malt into paler grists. Would I still be just mashing the same volume as usual about, and treating it the same, simply taking enough out and bringing it to a boil in order to raise the temp? How many steps are typical with decoction. Sorry for all the questions. Is there a thread that I can read up on this instead of invading this one with the dumb questions?

OK, forget gelatin.

*kicks a can around*

You should really change your avatar to Eeyore, just so everyone knows what to expect. ;) :) :mug:

I'm not science or gelatin expert, but I usually add 1 tbspn to my 25-liter batches. That basically works out to half a packet, but I'm not sure how many grams are in each packet. I don't believe more gelatin is going to hurt it, so you might as well just go with about the same. Make sure you're following the procedures correctly, and that you cold crash it to about 40-45F or so first. I usually cold crash for one day, but setting it to about 4.5C/40.1F. Then I add the gelatin. I try to slowly pour evenly across the top, but I don't stir it in. Then I set the temp to .5C/32.9F. Then I let that sit for a couple of days, at which point, I drop it to -.5C/31.1F.

As far as the gelatin. I slowly pour it into a glass with about 250-300ml room temp water. Then I let that sit for 15-20 mins. After that I give it a good stir with my thermometer. Pop the glass in the microwave for 2:30 minutes, stopping at 15-second intervals in order to stir/check the temperature. By the end of the 2:30 mark, it's usually up to 77-80C/170-176F. Then I pour directly into the fermenter as mentioned already. Seems to work really well for me doing it this way.

Nice thanks Gavin! ;)

So the portion you grab out, you will always bring to a boil? Guess that makes more sense. I should probably just go read a book about it or something. But it's so much easier to ask questions on here. How do you handle water chemistry with a decoction? I know gavin usually does full-volume. I'm a BIAB batch sparger myself. So I normally try to aim for about 1.65 qts/lb, and then adjust to get my sparge within 4 liters of my water available from mash (advice from the batch sparge thread). Now I'm treating both my mash and my sparge water with my mineral additions. Unless I'm mashing pretty high, I don't really need to acidify my sparge water, but I do add a bit of acid malt into paler grists. Would I still be just mashing the same volume as usual about, and treating it the same, simply taking enough out and bringing it to a boil in order to raise the temp? How many steps are typical with decoction. Sorry for all the questions. Is there a thread that I can read up on this instead of invading this one with the dumb questions?

I follow my normal mash chemistry protocol. I know that decoctions can push the pH down a bit, so I might aim a little higher than normal (5.4-5.5 room temp instead of 5.3-5.4).

But yes, basically mash like normal at your lowest step, and then remove however much you need (better to grab more than no enough).

Depends on what you're doing stepwise. If you only want a single decoction, do it to raise to mashout. Just pull it, heat it to boil, boil for maybe 15 minutes, and add back.

Worth noting just in case, decoctions need to be stirred constantly.

If you want to do decoctions at lower steps before full saccharization, then giving the decoction its own mini conversion rest is a good idea. So if I'm decocting from a protein rest at 128 to a 145 beta rest, I'd heat the decoction to maybe 152-154, let it sit for 20 minutes, and then boil it.

Multi step decoctions take a lot of planning and time and work. I don't brew lagers hardly ever (I've done one, I don't have a fridge and it's too difficult in a swamp cooler), so the only beers I do them on are my Weizens. My Kolsch and Alt get a single decoction that's it.

But for my Hefe-

I'll mash in at 110F. After maybe 20 minutes, I'll pull my first decoction, heat it to 152, hold it for 20 mins, boil it 5 mins, add back, bringing my whole mash to 130. I'll immediately pull a second decoction, again heat to 152 for 20 mins, boil it 5, add back, bringing it to 152. Let that sit 45 mins. Pull another decoction, heat it straight to boiling, boil it for 20 mins, add back bringing back to 168, hold 10 and sparge.

That way the main mash spends about an hour at 110, maybe 30 mins at 130 (but very little in the main mash, more than half ends up in the decoction), a little over an hour at 152, and then mashout. All intentionally timed. Mash takes just shy of 3 hours.

My Kolsch is simpler. 10 mins at 130, infusion to 150 for 60 mins, decoction boiled for 20 mins to mashout, and sparge. For Belgians I'll follow the same general schedule but instead of a single sacch rest I do 145 and 156-158, with how fermentable I want determining the time at each, and I'll skip the decoction and just do another infusion.

I follow my normal mash chemistry protocol. I know that decoctions can push the pH down a bit, so I might aim a little higher than normal (5.4-5.5 room temp instead of 5.3-5.4).

But yes, basically mash like normal at your lowest step, and then remove however much you need (better to grab more than no enough).

Depends on what you're doing stepwise. If you only want a single decoction, do it to raise to mashout. Just pull it, heat it to boil, boil for maybe 15 minutes, and add back.

If you want to do decoctions at lower steps before full saccharization, then giving the decoction its own mini conversion rest is a good idea. So if I'm decocting from a protein rest at 128 to a 145 beta rest, I'd heat the decoction to maybe 152-154, let it sit for 20 minutes, and then boil it.

Multi step decoctions take a lot of planning and time and work. I don't brew lagers hardly ever (I've done one, I don't have a fridge and it's too difficult in a swamp cooler), so the only beers I do them on are my Weizens. My Kolsch and Alt get a single decoction that's it.

But for my Hefe-

I'll mash in at 110F. After maybe 20 minutes, I'll pull my first decoction, heat it to 152, hold it for 20 mins, boil it 5 mins, add back, bringing my whole mash to 130. I'll immediately pull a second decoction, again heat to 152 for 20 mins, boil it 5, add back, bringing it to 152. Let that sit 45 mins. Pull another decoction, heat it straight to boiling, boil it for 20 mins, add back bringing back to 168, hold 10 and sparge.

That way the main mash spends about an hour at 110, maybe 30 mins at 130 (but very little in the main mash, more than half ends up in the decoction), a little over an hour at 152, and then mashout. All intentionally timed. Mash takes just shy of 3 hours.

My Kolsch is simpler. 10 mins at 130, infusion to 150 for 60 mins, decoction boiled for 20 mins to mashout, and sparge. For Belgians I'll follow the same general schedule but instead of a single sacch rest I do 145 and 156-158, with how fermentable I want determining the time at each, and I'll skip the decoction and just do another infusion.

Tl;Dr

LOL AZ. I'm sure you have a much better Dunkel in your wheelhouse anyway given your latest bushel of winnings. (Congrats BTW). Nonetheless I look forward with some trepidation to reading the recipe ass-tearing review. Nice.:)

Never made a dark german ale before, but man can't live on DEM alone...

While I agree, and don't mind a hazy beer at all, this is just too much for me: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=7499106#post7499106 Some of these "new" beers seem to take it too far. Ugh, just no.

I don't mind a bit of haze if it's hop haze or maybe just a bit of chill haze. But I still cold crash all pale ales and IPAs even if I don't use gelatin in them. Other than wheat beers, I want my beers to be see-through clear. Any beer that looks remotely like yeast haze, I'm out.

But for my Hefe-

Also typing that all on my phone was tedious as hell. There's probably errors.

Thanks for that. Didn't see any glaring errors, but either way it was awesome as hell.

Latest posts

Back