A dog for my sister--Rotty, Dobie, Boxer or German Shepherd?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had dobermans growing up. All great dogs but none of them passed from old age. Our experience was that dobies could possibly have an above average amount of health issues. All were smart loyal and extremely social animals.

Since I have been on my own we have had Rotties. Three in the house for several years. Awesome dogs. Our dogs were extremely social, laid back, and smart. Well bred "Bully" breeds should have a laid back temperament.

We have many friends and family members with Boxers. Awesome dogs. That being said, I have seen a fair amount of health issues with them. I would say slightly above the norm.

GSD. I would go this route for two main reasons. Timing and body type. In general, these dogs are athletically built and are working dogs for that reason. They certainly have many other fantastic traits. The timing that I am talking about is the fact that GSD's went through the same over breeding stages that many of the other bully/working breeds have gone through. I think that happened a fair amount of time ago and the breed has recovered well.

We will always have a Rottie in our house, as well as, some type of rescue dog as well.

Good luck to your sister. Dogs sure do improve the quality of life.

Oh yeah, get a female as well. Out of all of our dogs I would take any of the females to be at my side if **** ever got sketchy. Fearless.

Malinois are excellent dogs, but they are a lot of work. We have one (as well as a GSD). Lots of work in a Mal though...

This is almost identical to what I was going to say. We have a malinois mutt and one that may be pure bred. Both eager to learn and as active as I want to be. The mutt is more independent, while the possible pure bred always wants to have us in sight.

My vote is for a boxer. My Layla (see my avatar) is the sweetest dog I have ever met. Boxers are known for being extremely good with small children and are friendly to everyone they meet. They do require a decent amount of exercise. They are also well known for being the biggest bed hogs. It is amazing how my 62lb boxer can take up 3/4 of our king size bed.

Back