Saying Goodbye To A Dog

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuckyBeagleBrewing

Reaction score
I have seen threads on show your dog or new brew dogs. But what about those we have lost? Some mention them in a post but I wanted to say goodbye to my vuddy Rocky(he was a dachshund and had problems with pronunciation) who was truly a German dog.

Really he was my wife's dog. He did not like anyone else except her. He only tolerated me and complained a lot to me about certain topics. But he knew what it meant to be a German dog. He had a nightly routine of sausage and to be a guitar critic.

A couple of years back he had a severe case of pneumonia which led in to a myriad of health issues. I am not sure and the doctors only assume that he had the bacteria sitting there since his rescue. All dogs we adopt are rescue dogs. But this was e-coli on the lungs and come to find out it just did not go away even after intensive treatment. A week ago today he lost his final battle with the bacteria. It consumed 50% of his lungs and was not caught by the vet and a checkup on the Friday before. It was about this time last week we were told he was not going to make it and they recommended ending it for him. Unfortunately we did and I will say that is the toughest thing to do. I put a very high value on life but he was just so far gone.

I did not think I would miss him as much as the wife and believe me she has gone through so much grieving for this little guy it is unreal. I do miss the boy though. I do realize he was a little older (13 years) but dachshunds generally live longer and we did not think he would be leaving us. While he was a brat he had a lot of character for a small dog.

rocky0909.jpg

And him hamming it up

042307.jpg

If you have a good German beer, Prost Rocky.

I'm sorry for your loss. I had to put down my dog this last Nov. due to a brain tumor that was very sudden. He was 17 and also a rescue, I had him for 11 years. It is the hardest thing to do and to be honest, I still miss that guy. I'll raise a glass to your Rocky as I did to my Quincy!

Sorry for your loss, been though it quite a few times and it's tough each time but you need to do what's right by them and not drag it out for your own comfort, there is an inevitable.

Cheers to Rocky:mug:
You still have a beagle to fall back on?

Edit: rescues are the best, all of mine have been rescues, My current <<<< is a bit of a dick but I still love him.

That is a hard thing to do...... Sorry to hear. My wife and I had to put our two pugs to sleep two years ago, about 6 months apart. They were both 14 years old and lived great lives until the last week or two of their lives. It was really hard on both occasions. But, there comes a point where it is being selfish not to make the decision to let them go. We said we were going to wait at least a year before thinking about getting another dog........ Within 3 months we had 2 more pugs.

Our late pug (porter) is the namesake of our basement bar/brewery, and here are our recent additions:

FatPortersAleHouseBlk_logo.jpg

pugs.jpg

Takes so much courage determining final stages for all of our loved ones, I feel your pain and also rejoice in the fact that he's feeling no more pain.

I've have had to make the same call more than once an yes, I've been that tough-guy who doesn't make it out of the vets office without shedding more than a tear or 3...

I'm raising a glass to the 3 of you... Rocky, you and your wife

I had to put my Beagle last January. Its been a year, and I still miss her. The 3rd was a sad day of re-remembrance. I still have my old lab, but he has been getting worn out on walks lately. Sad stuff, but it's our responsibility to take care of them, and to make that call someday.

Cheers to Rocky! (and Chloe, the Golden Beagle)

I know it's not easy but, try to find consolence in knowing that your pup was taken care of until it's last day. Some animals are not so fortunate.
*toasts to dogs passed*

The House Dog's Grave (Haig, an English bulldog)

I've changed my ways a little; I cannot now
Run with you in the evenings along the shore,
Except in a kind of dream; and you, if you dream a moment,
You see me there.

So leave awhile the paw-marks on the front door
Where I used to scratch to go out or in,
And you'd soon open; leave on the kitchen floor
The marks of my drinking-pan.

I cannot lie by your fire as I used to do
On the warm stone,
Nor at the foot of your bed; no, all the night through
I lie alone.

But your kind thought has laid me less than six feet
Outside your window where firelight so often plays,
And where you sit to read--and I fear often grieving for me--
Every night your lamplight lies on my place.

You, Man and Woman, live so long, it is hard
To think of you ever dying
A little dog would get tired, living so long.
I hope than when you are lying
Under the ground like me your lives will appear
As good and joyful as mine.
No, dear, that's too much hope: you are not so well cared for
As I have been.

And never have known the passionate undivided
Fidelities that I knew.
Your minds are perhaps too active, too many-sided. . . .
But to me you were true.

You were never masters, but friends. I was your friend.
I loved you well, and was loved. Deep love endures
To the end and far past the end. If this is my end,
I am not lonely. I am not afraid. I am still yours.

Robinson Jeffers, 1941

Thank you everyone for the response and the prosts for my vuddy. My condolences to the others on here who have experienced a loss of their vuddy (or I think it is vuddies for plural since he is no longer around to tell me NEIN!!!) as well.

The beagle in my avatar is the one we lost when we got the Dachshund, He was probably the happiest and coolest beagle (Not full but beagle but terrier mix) I have known. We lost him after a year long battle with cancer in 2006. My wife who cannot be without a dog, decided to rescue Rocky the Dachshund in 06 and from the reports we got from the rescue shelter, he was 4 to 6 years old with a very abused life. It took him a little time but before you know it, he was dependent as ever on my wife. She could not go anywhere without him. It was that way for the next 8 years. We had our differences but I don't think I would have it any other way.

We are picking up the pieces and just got 2 more rescues that are 14 weeks old. Two more beagle terrier pups. I sure do like the beagles. Dachshunds are characters.

Thanks to everyone again. I toast all of the dogs mentioned in this thread. They have brought memories for all of us to cherish and to remind us of how short life really is.:mug:

I am a friend of Dave and new Rocky. He like to threaten to bite my ankles every time I came over. But, he was a good dog. He loved Dave's wife with a passion that is not normally seen in a dog. He loved his sausage and complaining about things that did not happen how he liked it. He did not like adjuncts in beer.

So I raise a glass to Rocky, and all of the other best friends that are not hear anymore. My best friend, Nash, is getting up there in years and I dread when this day happens to me and my wife.

After our 13 year old boxer passed I decided to brew a beer in his honor. I now brew the same beer every year on January 1st to remember him. I also save two beers for my girlfriend and I to enjoy on the day he passed. It's been a great tradition and really helps you do something special for something you loved so much.

Thank you everyone for the response and the prosts for my vuddy. My condolences to the others on here who have experienced a loss of their vuddy (or I think it is vuddies for plural since he is no longer around to tell me NEIN!!!) as well.

The beagle in my avatar is the one we lost when we got the Dachshund, He was probably the happiest and coolest beagle (Not full but beagle but terrier mix) I have known. We lost him after a year long battle with cancer in 2006. My wife who cannot be without a dog, decided to rescue Rocky the Dachshund in 06 and from the reports we got from the rescue shelter, he was 4 to 6 years old with a very abused life. It took him a little time but before you know it, he was dependent as ever on my wife. She could not go anywhere without him. It was that way for the next 8 years. We had our differences but I don't think I would have it any other way.

We are picking up the pieces and just got 2 more rescues that are 14 weeks old. Two more beagle terrier pups. I sure do like the beagles. Dachshunds are characters.

Thanks to everyone again. I toast all of the dogs mentioned in this thread. They have brought memories for all of us to cherish and to remind us of how short life really is.:mug:

Congratulations on the new pups and good luck with them but no pictures?:D

He wasn't a dog, but my buddy Mr. Kitty passed last night. He was only a little over a year old and fell ill suddenly. I had to make the call to let them end his pain, and I'm heartbroken. I found him on the street last year, tiny and hungry, and he was the most loving and thankful cat I've ever known. I feel really guilty for not being able to help him more, and must look ridiculous with teary eyes behind my parts counter at work. I will freaking miss that cat. I need a beer...

While he was a brat he had a lot of character for a small dog.

Yep, you can definitely tell the intelligence in those eyes.

If you have a good German beer, Prost Rocky.

I've got Irish beer, and if we Irish are good at one thing, it is waking the dead and celebrating their life. You and he will be toasted, all rescues at my house too.

He wasn't a dog, but my buddy Mr. Kitty passed last night. He was only a little over a year old and fell ill suddenly. I had to make the call to let them end his pain, and I'm heartbroken. I found him on the street last year, tiny and hungry, and he was the most loving and thankful cat I've ever known. I feel really guilty for not being able to help him more, and must look ridiculous with teary eyes behind my parts counter at work. I will freaking miss that cat. I need a beer...

I am very sorry to hear about your loss. Whether they are only a year or twenty it never feels like we get enough time with them. We are never guilty for not being able to help them. While we have to make the decision, we are trusting the vets that are taking care of them to give us the information to make that choice. You did what you had to do. It does not make it hurt any less though. I tell my wife to remember as many good things as you can. I will raise a glass for kitty. I am sure he is running right now with a couple of beagles, pugs, and a short legged dachshund.

I am a friend of Dave and new Rocky. He like to threaten to bite my ankles every time I came over. But, he was a good dog. He loved Dave's wife with a passion that is not normally seen in a dog. He loved his sausage and complaining about things that did not happen how he liked it. He did not like adjuncts in beer.

So I raise a glass to Rocky, and all of the other best friends that are not hear anymore. My best friend, Nash, is getting up there in years and I dread when this day happens to me and my wife.

Craig knows first hand the terror of a dachshund. Yeah he was hateful to everyone outside the home. He was German and he was cranky but we had our routine. I hope for everyone including Craig that you do not have to go through this for a very long time.

I do owe photos of our new kids

This is Jake
Jake.jpg

And this little guy is Chewy
Chewy.jpg

They have big shoes to fill left by a very special dog. And Craig these don't snap they just chew everyone they meet. In a friendly way but seems like they are still teething.

Latest posts

Back