A Dilemna

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I bought 4 tickets to see Here Come The Mummies this Saturday evening in Grand Rapids. I probably jumped the gun a bit, but I thought, "Surely my daughter will be performing her flute solo at state solo and ensemble at an early hour, so we can make the drive from Manistee to GR no problem!

Of course my other daughter ended up having to work, so there's an extra ticket, no biggie.

But it turns out that my flute playing daughter has a later performance and there hasn't been any way of trading times so now SHE can't go to the concert, and of course that also means that my WIFE can't go either.

So you probably already determined my dilemna (that's they way I was taught to spell it, so sue me, English Professors!)

I have to choose between seeing a fabulous funk band that I've been wanting to see live for several years, or seeing my daughter perform at State Solo and Ensemble again (not to make it seem trivial, but she's gotten 1s almost every time she's performed and I highly doubt this will be her last state performance...)

I've already invited form friends from down that way to attend and there is even odds that they take me up on it. The only question is what to do with that 1 last ticket; Give it away, or use it myself.

Oh, I'm sure you are all mostly thinking, "You HAVE to go see your daughter perform!", but I don't doubt she'll do well and there's a good chance she will get to go to the Honor's Band, which is available to anyone who gets a 1 rating at State level. It's like the championship game for band geeks.

So this may not be the last chance this year to see her in her musical glory.

I intend to discuss it with her, but I"m curious what others may do in this position.

Go to the concert, they are awesome.

They're coming here May 21st... I'll be there.

Go see your daughter. (Well, as long as you wont be bitter at her for missing the Here Come The Mummies concert, its not her fault) Bands tour every year or so, there will be likely another opportunity to see them. This doesnt sound like a small deal concert for your daughter, shes probably stressed, and needs support, and not to worry about your scheduling conflicts.

I think it's entirely up to the reaction of your flute-playing daughter. If she'll be disappointed that you won't be there, then go see her play. If she's okay with it, then go to the concert.

I spell dilemna wrong too, btw.

I think it's entirely up to the reaction of your flute-playing daughter. If she'll be disappointed that you won't be there, then go see her play. If she's okay with it, then go to the concert.

I agree.

I'd ask her- but the one I would ask is Kris! If Kris is going to hold this against you, or be hurt that she will be alone supporting Kara, then you have to go to Kara's band performance.

In my case, my kids (and spouse) wouldn't have minded a bit but I know that other spouses and kids feel differently.

I am first and foremost a family man. I have a 7 year old and a 3.75 year old. My wife is a nurse and works 12 hour shifts, I get the kids up in the morning, ready for school, drop them off at school, cook supper (unless my wife is off) give them baths and into bed. I do not mind doing any of this, it is what I signed up for when I decided to be a father.

That all being said, I have to have some sort of getaway. Granted it may be the gym, or hanging out at the bottle shop on Fridays, but it is a getaway. My advice would be to talk to your daughter and wife about it.

FWIW the "performance" is her playing flute in front of a judge with someone playing piano as accompaniment. Plus anyone who cares to sit in, which is usually mom, dad, a friend or two, or it could be those plus a bunch of other bandmates sitting in between their own performances.

And no, this is her Sophmore year, so I expect she will have 2 more years of State Solo performances, plus a few concerts and a couple of festivals each year.

I'm not saying going to State isn't a big deal, but I'm just expecting more to come after this, and there is a very good possibility that she will continue to the last level this year even.

With song titles such as:
Attack of the Wiener Man
Oh Zone
You Gonna Eat All a That?
OCDD
Libido Knievel

You know it's going to be a great time!

I agree.

I'd ask her- but the one I would ask is Kris! If Kris is going to hold this against you, or be hurt that she will be alone supporting Kara, then you have to go to Kara's band performance.

In my case, my kids (and spouse) wouldn't have minded a bit but I know that other spouses and kids feel differently.

Kris appears ambivalent at t his point. That's the only scary part!

She's suggested talking to Kara about it, but I've been waiting to see if there was a possibility the schedule could fit better and we could all go as a family to the concert.

I'll probably talk to her tonight. Right after I run to the homebrew store that's closing downstate.

Band/Orchestra has changed so much since I was in school.

Nice. I should have reread my post before hitting send.

Nothing's changed. I didn't get a chance to talk with them last night. I'm no closer to making the decision.

Part of the problem is I don't know if I'd really enjoy the concert going by myself. I was hoping the whole family could see them.

Family first. Go to your daughter's performance.

But why doesn't "family first" work the other way? Why shouldn't the daughter be willing to sacrifice one recital so her parent can enjoy a band they've been wanting to see live for years? She'll get through the recital with or without Homer - wouldn't she want him to be happy? After all, "family first," right?

I say go to the concert, get your wife to videotape your daughter's performance and arrange a "screening night" with her. Make it special, schedule a specific time and date, make some popcorn, dim the lights, crank up the home theater.

Nothing's changed. I didn't get a chance to talk with them last night. I'm no closer to making the decision.

Part of the problem is I don't know if I'd really enjoy the concert going by myself. I was hoping the whole family could see them.

You'll probably get another chance to see them... if you're conflicted before you've even talked to them, then you've probably got your answer.

Funk it.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrmx8plNCdE[/ame]

I think that's the jist of it. Knowing you, you wouldn't enjoy the concert without them.

Talk to Kara tonight. But you're right, if Kris is ambivalent about it, that could be a warning sign!

I think that's the jist of it. Knowing you, you wouldn't enjoy the concert without them.

Talk to Kara tonight. But you're right, if Kris is ambivalent about it, that could be a warning sign!

It feels like some kind of test...

"It's fine either way!" She even manages to say it with a straight face and everything!

Well, there is nothing going on tonight, so I will get a chance to sit down with Kara and talk about it. No matter which way it goes, talking about it is good.

Listen very carefully to what they DON'T say. They may say that it is fine that you go to the concert, but in reality not FEEL the same.

If you have doubt that you will enjoy the concert without your family I would wait for their next tour.

Worst thing is I expected the flute performance to happen earlier in the day. I could have waited a few hours to find out for sure, but I jumped the gun on the tickets. The money I spent could have bought a FastFerment conical!

So I double checked and it turns out I was wrong on her performance time. We can make it to GR from Manistee with just a small amount of time left over...

Disaster averted!

Now to find 1 person to take with us...

This. If she has been in this ensemble before then perhaps you can get a pass on this one. Parents have been forgiven for much more, yanno. I agree, family first, but talk to her. How old is she? Can you handle missing it?

Well, we made it just in time to park across the street for $3 and the line wasn't even to the next building yet. We had a nice wait before the opening act came on so I had a Founder's Centennial IPA. The opening act was Jim Shaneberger and he was awesome, but I get tired of the rocking blues sound. Great player.

We met people we knew from Reed City so that was nice. Mummies came out from the back of the room and did a drum line through the crowd high-fiving people on their way to the stage.

They rocked non-stop till the encore, then rocked some more. Then they did a meet and greet kind of thing, which we didn't stick around for.

I'm so glad we got to go. They were awesome!

Well, we made it just in time to park across the street for $3 and the line wasn't even to the next building yet. We had a nice wait before the opening act came on so I had a Founder's Centennial IPA. The opening act was Jim Shaneberger and he was awesome, but I get tired of the rocking blues sound. Great player.

We met people we knew from Reed City so that was nice. Mummies came out from the back of the room and did a drum line through the crowd high-fiving people on their way to the stage.

They rocked non-stop till the encore, then rocked some more. Then they did a meet and greet kind of thing, which we didn't stick around for.

I'm so glad we got to go. They were awesome!

How'd your daughter score on her performance?

How'd your daughter score on her performance?

She had an 85 in proficiency, which is just enough to earn a 1 rating. The judge praised her tone a playing, but she struggled with the scales. She had a meltdown the night before over her scales. She practiced with a cheat sheet so when she waited to memorize the sharps and flats it was kind of late.

I think if she had spent some times finding out how to know her scales she could easily have scored mid 90s.

I'd like to see if she can move up to a higher bracket next year.

Back