A couple of newbie kegging questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newton

Reaction score
I've been brewing for a few years and now I'm finally on the verge of jumping into kegging....call me a little slow. I think the system I'm going to go with is this:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brew-logic-dual-tap-draft-system-with-reconditioned-co2-tank.html

+ adding two additional kegs -- probably pin lock

I want to get into lagering and plan on doing 3 lagers this winter which I will store in 3 of the kegs. The other keg will probably just be my ale keg.

What do you think about this sort of system for a newbie? Any general tips?

First off you dont need a dual regulartor. It's a nice to have feature but not really needed for the most part. The 5lb bottles are great for serving, but be prepared with a second if thats what you're planning to purge the O2 out of your kegs prior to filling. They dont last as long as you'd think.

I have 3, and they last forever while serving. I've got a larger bottle for purging cornys.

Prive seems ok.

Hey thanks for the response! One reason I think I'd really like the dual regulator is because i like serving alot of ales at "British" carbonation levels, where I like lagers more like 2.5 volumes.

Out of curiosity, why would one need to do full purge prior to filling a keg? I would think that just purging the head space right after filling would be all you would need to do. But then again I'm a kegging noob.

[...]Out of curiosity, why would one need to do full purge prior to filling a keg? I would think that just purging the head space right after filling would be all you would need to do. But then again I'm a kegging noob.

You're actually correct. If you fill the keg quietly it's quite sufficient to seal the keg up then purge the head space...

Cheers!

Yeah, just purge the head space after filling or you'll go through CO2 way too fast.

Back