A cider from...Skittles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pzack

Reaction score
Ok, before you laugh me off the thread, I want to preface this post with a story:

A coworker of mine started nagging me to brew him beer fermented from the sugar of boiled skittles. I mean really nagging. Yeah - that's the entire story but he was REALLY nagging!

So, I am going to give it a try. The idea would be to boil up about 20lbs of skittles, half oz of cascade (?) for bittering and another half oz for aroma. Ferment with either a distillers yeast or alcohol friendly trappist.

Am I wasting my time even trying this? :fro: Worst case, the local distillery offered to distill it down in their old beaten up still if it is undrinkable as beer. Thoughts??

PS I know this technically isn't cider but...skittles taste like fruit, and distilling fruit is making cider..soo...

I would think you'd end up with zero body and a really a really hot drinking beer with all the simple sugars and no malt. I'd say you've got about a 95% chance this ends up going through the still.

I would think you'd end up with zero body and a really a really hot drinking beer with all the simple sugars and no malt. I'd say you've got about a 95% chance this ends up going through the still.

I think you are right. Any idea how it will turn out distilled?

Back