A belgian stout with T-58?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sursole

Reaction score
I'm looking to make a belgian imperial stout for my 2nd ever brew. I have safbrew T-58 readily available and free, however after a fair amount of searching I cant find evidence of anyone using this yeast for a belgian stout recipe. There is a lot of use of this yeast for other belgian styles however (saison, triple, etc). Anyone have any ideas, experience, or opinions? I'm brewing soon and dont really have the opportunity to track down another yeast

It wouldn't be as good as using some of the liquid strains that are available, but T58 would still make a very tasty beer. Especially if you're going to use some dark syrup.

I've only used T-58 once, but i dont think its peppery/spicy profile wouldnt fit too well in a stout

I was thinking the peppery/spicy quality would be the biggest draw back. Perhaps a small amount of smoked malt could round that out a bit?

It wouldn't be as good as using some of the liquid strains that are available

Nope. T-58 is a quality yeast that, when used properly, is just as good as liquid equivalents.

I was thinking the peppery/spicy quality would be the biggest draw back. Perhaps a small amount of smoked malt could round that out a bit?

I'd recommend against that. Assertive flavors don't round out other assertive flavors. If you're looking to make a Belgian style anything you're going to get some interesting aromas/flavors from the yeast. In this case T-58 is a bit spicy which I think would go better than a lot of the others that can give you some funk.

Went ahead and brewed this beer a few weeks back. I'll let you know the results but so far things taste very good. No complaints on the traits of the yeast yet. I have run into a problem however that I need to fix:

OG 1.099. Its been two weeks and gravity today is 1.040 and its been that way for 5 days. I've roused the yeast, up'd the temp, no more action. Fermentation started very strong but dwindled after 2 days, almost absolutely zero airlock activity from then on.

My plan now then is to rehydrate a new sachet of t-58, and at a yeast starter to it on a stir plate for 24 hours. I would just repitch after rehydrating but with the alcohol already being 7.4% i figure that would be too big a shock for the yeast.
After 12 hours on the stir plate I was going to add probably a cup of the already fermenting beer to acclimate the yeast.

Any ideas or other suggestions on this? The beer taste fine but 1.040 is way too high to end things at

Back