97th brew and no two the same so far.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kh54s10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I hear a lot about repeat-ability, but there are so many ingredients to experiment with. So many different styles to explore. I have done a couple alike, trying to improve them. Most often they are just different.

The beer I am brewing today, Brown Eyed Girl the Sixth, is one that the original was made up from leftovers. This sixth one is closest to the first one. But I did change it up some. We'll see.

Anyone else not concerned with perfecting a beer?

So far, no. I enjoy experimenting too much.

Every time I look at a list of recipes I think 'wow that looks nice' and it gets added to my to brew list. There's just too many different styles and styles of styles for me to brew the same thing twice at the moment. I just love trying new things.

I'll be re-brewing an IPA I made a while back, not because I particularly want to, but because my dad and friends keep pestering me to get it brewed again. That will be my first beer I've brewed twice.

I have to say though, 97 brews and all different. Impressive:mug:

I have brewed I believe 23 all grain batches now and none of them have been the same per say. I had 2 that were the same grain bill and hops but different amounts and then 4 had the same grain bill but all completely different hops.
FWIW my numbers on similar grain bills were the same so I guess that is my "repeatability", otherwise I am just interesting in trying new things too!

I hear you on the repeatability... but nah, I'm out on that as well... too many styles & ingredients to choose from. Even when I hit something I like, or love even, unless I come up with a really cool marketing name, it's a one and done. I did a wheat beer I called "Wheaty Beef"... just a ramped up wheat base beer with coriander and bitter orange peel... (thought about tossing in beef bullion, lol) but it was a hit. The neighbors, GF, and even my Mom loved it and kept asking how my beefy drink was doing and when I'm going to brew more... so it stuck and I brewed it a few more times for old times sake. The GF even had a growler laser etched with the name so I had to do it again!

There's a recipe that has come out well for me several times - friends and family seem to like it, and I make around this time every year based off an Irish Stout recipe ive had for a few years (for St Pats) but to be honest, I'm never really trying to duplicate it and always seem to try to improve it by tweaking a few things. Thats probably the only brew I have tried numerous times to make. Sometimes I add some coffee, chocolate nibs, etc. At the end of the day I'd rather be trying something new the trying to repeat a particular batch

I have a Kolsch, Saison, Scotch and Wheat that are repeats, I love them as I have them. For the Wheat and Kolsch I think they are less fun to experiment with since they are pretty straight forward and I know how I like those styles. I keep the Scotch recipe the same because it takes me a year to burn through a keg of it. I know I like this recipe, why risk changing it up? Saisons are a little different, again I love my saison recipe and brew it regularly but that's a fun style to play with since you can do so much with it so I have my goto then also change things. Hoppy beers are always different, they are my favorite style and the one I brew the most often and I'm always playing with something new. I'm currently running through all of the Cryo hops with the same grain bill and bittering charge, just changing out the flavor and aroma hops. I also have a Rye IPA recipe that I love but am always tweaking something each time I brew it.

I guess you could say I am always changing something with each iteration of every beer, as I learn new things I implement them hopefully making each brew better then the last. A pretty normal progression for most brewers I think is using tap water, using tap water with minerals and finally building water from distilled/RO, improving temp control from a steady closet, to a swamp cooler to ferm chamber, going from pitching a yeast pack to pitching a starter, finding ways to minimize O2 exposure, etc. The recipe may remain the same but I'm far from being at the point that the entire process is under lock down. I never have two kegs of the same beer on tap so consistency is difficult to evaluate, and frankly I don't care because I don't have customers who have come to expect a certain product. I get to decide if "improvements" actually make a better beer.

Back