96 degrees fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shutupjojo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Thought I had the small mechanical room heated just right with a space heater for my Westvleteren 8 clone to ferment at 80 degrees. Well, woke up in the morning to find out the beer temp was 96 degrees. I grabbed the fermenter and set it out on the deck and hosed it with cold water .
Dont know exactly how long it was at 96 but it was fermenting like a friggin volcano. That morning I had hernia surgery and it sat at 70 for another 4 weeks because I couldnt lift anything heavier than a bluddy nat. Did the usuall bottling process because I always bottle Belgians, and it was sour and tasted like ****. Expected. A year later , this is one of the best belgians I have ever had.I couldnt throw it out. During the aging it mellowed into a great beer. All my friends and family love it. 96 f ing degrees man! I call it 96.

There's two things you don't give up on...Trying not to leave the bar alone and a batch of beer.

You're a good man for hangin in there. :rockin:

Damn. Way to see it through. Make sure to post this in the "Don't throw it away - time heals all beer wounds" or whatever that thread is called.

This kinda makes me want to try a experimental 1g batch. Pitch at 65, let self rise to around 100 or whatever. Age 3 years. Damn, this hobby isn't for the impatient, is it?

Just to let you guys know it was wlp500 Trappist. Its one of those beers that you wish you could send everybody but it is amazing it turned out and probably would never be able to duplicate but you never know. I did learn that its hard to ferment a Belgian too hot, and I understand there are many dynamics involve but sometimes you get lucky.

you're making me upset that it's going to be so long before I can drink my belgian 12% ABV made with WLP500 and 550... it tastes so good after 4 weeks in fermenter.. I can only imagine after the 4 months it's going to age before I drink it... mmmm belgian ale :) Now you're making me consider a super high temp fermentation.

Back