90 Min IPA Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikee

Reaction score
I just finished brewing a 90 min IPA all grain BIAB - 15 lbs 2r and 4 amber and I got 1.12 OG - way more that I expected. So this is the question - with such a high og should I grab a slurry from another brew I did recently and pitch that as well or should I let it run its course and hope to get to the 12% ABV?

That is fairly high. What was your temp when you took a gravity reading prior to the boil? What was the gravity pre-boil? Once you add enough hops for a 90min IPA the gravity post boil will be up there if you don't filter out all those hops. But I am guessing you did. What were your volumes pre and post boil?

My gravity reading prior to boil was 1.054 and I had just shy of 7 gallons probably around 6.8. The temp when I made the reading was 142. I pulled the hops out and had about 5.5 gallons after the boil. Right on target although I lost 10 min of my boil time because I had to go and get my son from preschool.

mikee said:
My gravity reading prior to boil was 1.054 and I had just shy of 7 gallons probably around 6.8. The temp when I made the reading was 142. I pulled the hops out and had about 5.5 gallons after the boil. Right on target although I lost 10 min of my boil time because I had to go and get my son from preschool.

Is that 1.054 corrected for temp?

Ok, there's a couple problems

1. Did you use 4lbs of Amber malt in your recipe? If so, that's a TON of amber, 1lb is what the recipe calls for.

2. Gravity readings have to be taken at 60*. Even at 77* your hydrometer will read 3 points low. at around 82* it will read 5 points low. Basically your reading at 142* can't be used.

3. What temp was your wort when you took the reading at 1.12?

scottland said:
Ok, there's a couple problems

1. Did you use 4lbs of Amber malt in your recipe? If so, that's a TON of amber, 1lb is what the recipe calls for.

2. Gravity readings have to be taken at 60*. Even at 77* your hydrometer will read 3 points high. at around 82* it will read 5 points high. Basically your reading at 142* can't be used.

3. What temp was your wort when you took the reading at 1.12?
I think you mean 3 points low at 77 ( more like 2.5 at 1.050....but..)

sorry 2lbs cara munich - 2lbs amber

My wort was read just prior to pitching at 70.

So you need to cool your preboil wort after bringing it up to 170 to denature so you can take a reading? Do I need to cool it all the way down to 60?

Forgive my ignorance im new to all grain....

mikee said:
sorry 2lbs cara munich - 2lbs amber

My wort was read just prior to pitching at 70.

So you need to cool your preboil wort after bringing it up to 170 to denature so you can take a reading? Do I need to cool it all the way down to 60?

Forgive my ignorance im new to all grain....

yes you should cool it down

you don't cool the whole 7 or so gallons just a sample large enough to take a gravity reading. You can then add it back into the boil

nspringstead said:
you don't cool the whole 7 or so gallons just a sample large enough to take a gravity reading. You can then add it back into the boil

Ah indeed...i guess i should have specified that i meant the sample

afr0byte said:
Ah indeed...i guess i should have specified that i meant the sample

Is there any difference between cooling a sample and just correcting the measurement mathematically?

wobrien said:
Is there any difference between cooling a sample and just correcting the measurement mathematically?

I would imagine so. I don't know enough about the equation to tell you how much of a difference, though.

As long as you can measure the temperature accurately at the same time you are taking the gravity, the equation is quite effective.

I put the temperature probe inside the sachorometer tube when I'm measuring the gravity.

Sorry I'm suffering brain damage, can't come up with name for the device measures in brix. Refactometer? Don,t need to cool sample. Only about $50. :drunk:

C-Rider said:
Sorry I'm suffering brain damage, can't come up with name for the device measures in brix. Refactometer? Don,t need to cool sample. Only about $50. :drunk:

technically you're still supposed to cool it...it just cools a lot faster

Back