90% mash efficiency on newHERMS system a fluke?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstebell

Reaction score
So I brewed a Blind Pig clone yesterday thanks to Bertus Brewery's clone recipe and got 90% efficiency on my single teir keggle HERMS system is this a fluke? I have brewed on this system a hundred times with out the herms and average 70-75% efficiency. This was the first brew with the herms I did a 60 min mash at 151 then ramped it up to 170 for mash out which I never done before; then fly sparged like normal. I can and will obviously brew again to figure out if this was a fluke or not. I just wanna know if this is common when changing systems. Here is a pic of her in action during the mash. Thanks

image.jpg

A 75% mash efficiency is pretty poor, I would think. A 75% brewhouse efficiency is about average.

I usually get around 85% brewhouse efficiency with my system, but sometimes I hit 90%. I use a HERMS and fly sparge, but I don't increase the temps for mashout. Fly sparging rate very much affects the mash efficiency, or so I have noticed. I'm trying to sparge at a rate of 1 quart per minute, but with ball valves it's really hard to nudge the valve to get the right rate. I'm thinking of getting a nice 1/2" SS gate valve to give me some better control on the fly sparging process.

Latest posts

Back