8-Bit Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reno_eNVy

Reaction score
8-bit-beer-1.jpg

Pretty sweet 8-bit vidjama game themed beer by Tallgrass Brewing Co in Manhattan, Kansas.

Per the brewery:
Just like those classic video games we all grew up with, 8-Bit Pale Ale is spectacularly simple at first glance yet remarkably fun and complex when you get into it. Our Hop Rocket infuses the character of Austrailian grown Galaxy Hops into an American Pale Ale, giving a unique tropical, almost melon aroma in a classic American style.

ABV: 5.2%
IBU: 40
Malts: 2 Row, Victory, Vienna & Munich
Hops: Magnum, Centennial, Cascade & Galaxy

Sounds pretty dang good to me.

It makes me want to get a case of it and sit down to beat Bubble Bobble in one sitting....

That's some of the best packaging I've seen. Appeals to both the kid and the adult in me! Now if only I were closer to Kansas to pick some up.

The nostalgia of those games would be enough for me to pick up a 6er of that. Still have the NES I got for Christmas in 1986 plus around 50 classic games

-Edit
Unavailable in California. If anyone is willing grab a 6er and ship it I could grab something readily available here, couple of Pliny's maybe, and ship them back. PM me if interested.

I love Tallgrass. The brewery is right down the street from me and i head over there on a weekly basis to hang out at the tap room. They come in 4 pack 16 oz cans. Speaking of....what is the best way to ship cans?

I've used UPS to ship bottles and they did great.

Just wrap them individually in bubble wrap and pack scrap paper (grocery bags, news paper, junk mail, etc) around them to make sure they don't move in the box.

I'd be willing to get some shipped.

I got my MS from Kansas State University (in Manhattan, KS). I now live in Colorado and have NO access to Tallgrass beers :( I recently did a trade with someone to get the Velvet Rooster (another can with awesome packaging) and will probably have to do the same for this 8-bit. I really can't wait to try it!

It is a good beer. Now I have galaxy hops on the list to brew with at some time.
I'll make a beer run tues/wed.
If any one really wants some I can ship a 4pk out.

For one of you guys that has access to stone I would do a trade for a 4 pack of this and any other from tallgrass. The velvet rooster is pretty good too.

This is my local brewery and is one of my favorites from them. The other being Oasis.
If anyone still needs some and wants to trade. Shoot me a PM.
I trade all the time on BA.

Man- this reminds me of that thread earlier "Beer labels that turn you off." It just LOOKS like such a gimmick aimed squarely at my generation. It's neat, but I wouldn't buy it if I saw it in BevMo, because it looks like shameless pandering to a demographic they already own.

THAT SAID: I've never had any Tallgrass beers and would love to try any of them, including this, but that's what local beer is about! How is it? Beer should be judged on its own merits, not the taste of its marketers.

I love 8-Bit and drink it very regularly. Tallgrass have become one of my go-to breweries, their beers are across-the-board very tasty and drinkable. Plus I am a huge can fan, I haaaates the bottles.

Would love to try to clone this some day, just have to order some Galaxy hops first!

Great beer! Got one in the fridge right now! Just finished a Velvet Rooster and working through an Oasis! :tank:

I tried some of this 8bit, and while it was OK, I wasn't too enthused with it. That said, I haven't gotten exited with any of Tall Grass's beers. Their overall flavor style just doesn't match my taste buds I guess.

Now if only I could get some bourbon county stout in this state :)

I tried some of this 8bit, and while it was OK, I wasn't too enthused with it. That said, I haven't gotten exited with any of Tall Grass's beers. Their overall flavor style just doesn't match my taste buds I guess.

Now if only I could get some bourbon county stout in this state :)

Maybe you're not a fan of Tallgrass because it's brewed in Manhattan and you're from Lawrence. You are probably naturally biased. :)

This one is hard to find in my area,only tried the ipa-pretty good/ok,oasis-favorate so far,buffalo sweat -great. Seen the velvet rooster but skipped it,went back and it was gone next time. I think the 8 bit will show up eventually,hopefully.

Back