750ML twist cap bottles. How to cap?.. Suggestions? Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brando_i

Reaction score
So a family member has a slight addiction to fancy mineral water, and has a ton of these bottles available. After a little more then a month he's kept aside about 50! Now it's a shame to throw these bottles all out.

I;ve tried capping with a bench capper, it doesn't work. The original caps twist right off when you over tighten. All I can think of are plastic pop bottle style caps.

Any suggestions?! Free bottles people!

Hey Brando, everything I've read indicates these are NOT re-useable because there is no appropriate seal you can "get back" without super expensive equipment that the manufacturers have.

Good luck with other responses though!

Tell them to switch to Acqua Panna from food service distributors.
http://www.france44.com/browse.cfm/panna-acqua-water/4,3035.html
The ones in the stores have twist off caps, but the ones from distributors have pry off caps.
The downside for beer is that they're clear. Sorry.

Other than that your best bet is probably to sanitize and reuse the old caps, I doubt you'd find anything that will thread and seal just right. Have you tried comparing them to screw-top bottles available from wine supply stores? They might have something you can use.

That's exactly what I picked up. They hold very tight but I had to make sure I didn't over tighten. We'll see how they hold! I'll keep you posted and thanks for the reply's.

Yeah, like I said, these are frequently available at grocery stores, but they have twist off caps.

The 1L size available from food service outlets really do use crown caps. If you don't believe me, go to Olive Garden and order one. Unfortunately, they won't save them for you. It's a sanitation issue.

Oh I believe you! I just already have soooo many of these bottles on hand. I'll try to get him to switch brands or suppliers. Thanks for the tip.

Update!... about 2 weeks have gone by since I bottled 48 750ml twist cap bottles with new "pop bottle" type bottle caps. 0 gushers, 0 bottle bombs and 0 infected bottles. I opened two up to sample and both were carbonated and tasted great. I'd call this a success! I have about another 48 empties left and best part is the bottle caps can be reused!

Hey man, can you upload a picture of these maybe? I'd really like to see this "in action". I'm very glad to hear things worked out!

Thanks!

image-1554572161.jpg

Hope that is clear enough. So that is a 750ml pelegrino bottle capped with a twist on cap. I pick the caps up from my local wine/home brew store in bags of 12. They are twisted on by hand, you have to make sure not to over tighten because you can make the threads skip if you tighten too much.

The caps can also be reused!

Well done man....I may use this for the Mead I will be bottling in June as I have a few twist top wine bottles. I really appreciate you takin' the pic!

Latest posts

Back