• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

7 Gallon Wooden Barrells Ny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got one of these. They are nice barrels ... I will be brewing up a imperial porter to go in it this weekend.

can you keep me informed on the oak taste, I thought about buying one but was concerned there would be too much oak taste with the more surface area of a smaller barrel.

Honestly, this is 4 miles away from where I grew up and where my parents still live. I'm wondering a couple of things: How many times can you use these? Are they mostly good as a secondary? What other things might I consider if I was going to buy one?

Thanks,
Brad

Honestly, this is 4 miles away from where I grew up and where my parents still live. I'm wondering a couple of things: How many times can you use these? Are they mostly good as a secondary? What other things might I consider if I was going to buy one?

Thanks,
Brad

The biggest thing is how dry are they, dry = leaks. Not that it cant be fixed with a long soak but something to consider.

I bought one of these. It's a bourbon barrel...the guy seemed really nice and answered all the questions I sent via ebay messaging. The barrel was somewhat expensive, but hopefully it'll be worth it in the long run as I split it with my friends. The only complain I saw was on ebay that the ends have some silicon on the outside. Don't know if that affects anything or not.

Hmm...

I emailed them a year ago asking them if they had used barrels for sale and got no response.

Sean From NH

I e-mailed them through eBay and they offered to sell direct to me. Maybe they were not set up last year. I am thinking of picking a couple more up.

You can get a 55 gallon bourbon barrel from Weyerbacher for $25. You can get 60 gallon wine barrels from vinyards for about $100. I don't know if I'd drop 90 on a 7 gallon. You'd only be able to leave the beer in there for a week tops before it becomes an oak bomb.

Slightly OT but Tuthilltown makes a wonderful rye whiskey :)

Back OnT, if you have questions give them a call. I've spoken with the distiller there and he was a real gentleman and very receptive to my (probably annoying) questions :)

-Joe

You can get a 55 gallon bourbon barrel from Weyerbacher for $25. You can get 60 gallon wine barrels from vinyards for about $100. I don't know if I'd drop 90 on a 7 gallon. You'd only be able to leave the beer in there for a week tops before it becomes an oak bomb.

Weyerbacher no longer sells them.

But there are a lot of resources for barrels out there, and with the surface area on a 7 gallon barrel, you are looking at super short aging times for beer. They make little sense. At that volume, you need to use oak cubes. Bigger barrels make sense for beer.

Latest posts

Back