7 cu ft Magic Chef plastic hinges

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastside

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to attach a collar to the hinges of a 7 cu ft Magic Chef freezer (HMCF7W)? I've been wary of attaching collars to hinges, but these seem particularly sketchy. They are plastic and don't seem to have any internal spring mechanism. Basically plastic door hinges.

At this point I am simply converting it to a fermentation chamber, but I may use it later for a keezer, so I'm a little worried about the possibility of attaching a collar with several taps.

Thanks in advance for any input.

I put a collar on my 7cu ft magic chef I got from HD, it has a good bit of weight to it, with the tile I put on and they are holding up fine.

I would assume you have to prop the top open when you are changing out kegs/CO2. True?

Yes. I open it fully and let it sit on the hinges. Only leave it up for a minute or so. However if you do have access to some metal hinges, might as well get them so you have the peace of mind. For me no worries..

I have a MC 7CF freezer that I put a collar on and have similar concerns. I used oak and have four taps. I'm a little worried about those hinges since they are only held in place by friction instead of springs like on other freezers. It's been holding up for a week with minimal use. I might upgrade to metal hinges if they end up breaking. Just so long as it's the plastic hinge that breaks and not the freezer wall.

I also have this model with a coffin and an oversized top. I completely forgot about the hinge. It is very heavy and now that it is on my mind, I will go buy metal hinges.

Back